Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to make a '75 p-bass pickguard fit on a mim p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 24, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I picked up a tortoise shell pickguard from a 1975 P-bass today, being told that it would fit my MIM P-bass. Well it doesnt exactly line up right in the neck and pickup cavities. Some of the screwholes are slightly off. How can I make this thing fit? Make new screwholes? File the pickup cavity? I really don't want to give this pickguard up. Its got pickup cover and thumbrest holes, which I hope to add later.

~Patrick

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    bump

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    "How can I make this thing fit? Make new screwholes? File the pickup cavity?"

NO!!! Here's an easy solution: a 1975 pickguard is a collectible vintage item. Sell it on Ebay for twice what a new MIM P-bass replacement guard costs.

Then, after you buy a CORRECT guard, use the surplus proceeds to buy yourself a thumbrest and/or pickup covers. Or take your significant other out for beer and pizza.

Dude, seriously, respect your bass and respect old stuff. These two items weren't meant to go together...and the correct-fitting stuff is easy to get.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
  5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wells its in the shop now, and hopefully it will work out.

And to the Mighty Mite. Heck no. The first tort guard I bought for this P-bass was a Mighty Mite, MIM style, and it did not fit worth poo. The shape was even off.

~Patrick

6. Ever consider one direct from Fender? I got one to fit my P special (13 hole) in tort, and it looks the part really well, and cost me 35 bucks.

Better than guesswork and ruin.

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    heh,
    i got a fender(vint. reissue) tortoise shell to put on my 77pbass and it fit like crap too.....screw holes are slightly off for mine.
    i bet yours would fit mine and mine would fit yours....

if you can't get it to fit just sell it and find a good one that will fit your bass, don't ruin that PG though.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA

I guess that means there's drilling going on somewhere in the world tonight.

(argh)

Covers head.