1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to make my P-bass trebley

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stickk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Hi, I have a Mexican-made Fender Highway One P-bass. I'm trying to get it to sound trebley rather that bassy. Anyone know how to make this bass way more trebley? Strings, bridges, etc?

Thanks,
    Stickk

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'd try lighter gauge strings first. That should do the trick.

3. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    It's funny that you should ask this question about this particular model - I tried one out a few months ago and it was by far the most trebley Precision that I ever played (too much so for my tastes, as it goes :meh:).

So, the reason is almost certainly the strings!

Get yourself a new set of stainless steel strings and try again, strings can make a huge difference to any bass, IME.

:)

4. I'd look into changing out the pickup. Seymore Duncan makes a Hot P and one called a Quarter Pounder that many people seem to like.

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    For some reason, it is easy to make any bass i play trebly but its hard to dial in a nice deep growl tone or a really nice snappy mid edggy type of tone

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I thought HWY 1 instruments were all american made ?:confused:
    Anywho, play near the bridge is the most economical way to get all trebly. By passing the tone pot with a minor wiring change is free but requires a little soldering skill. New round wound strings will help next. Aftermarket pup next. Active preamp to continue the quest. New neck w/ maple fb should have put you into boutique priced market by now.
    Oh, and make sure the tone pot is all the way cw.:bag:

7. Try a fresh set of stainless steel strings, and if that doesn't get you where you want to be, play it with a pick (preferably a steel or silver pick) . If those two things along with some EQ'ing don't get you the sound you're looking for, you might try a DiMarzio Model P (DP122) replacement p'up. If, after ALL of that, you're still not there... Well, sell the damn bass and try something else.

8. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I seem to remember reading on here, that the Precisions fitted with the S1 switch were very trebly. Try wiring in a push-pull mod and see what happens.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Rotosound strings and a set up.

What kind of amp are you using?

10. Turn up the treble and high mid on the amp. :D

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Easy, and it's free. Wire your pickup straight to the jack.

12. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Put on new strings every day?

13. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
  14. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England