Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to master the Moonwalk

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ConTraBajisTa, Apr 1, 2003.

1. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    yes, you read right, i'm trying to learn the moonwalk. but i need help.
    for the talent show, a couple friends and i are going to play the songs "jump around" and "busta move," we're gonna get costumes and the guitarist and some of his friends are gonna break dance. blah blah, it'll be fun.
    this whole moonwalk thing is my brilliant idea. my costume is michael jackson, as a joke (i am said to look like michael jackson with the white hat on, see attached picture). so i said, hey i'll learn the moonwalk and some other dance steps and we'll add it in somewhere in the show.

the problem is, i have not just two, but about 79 left feet. anyone have any suggestions on how to get a hang of the moonwalk?

(i dont look that much like michael jackson!)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Basic movements are not difficult, really.
    It's all about sliding back your foot and raising the heel at the same time.
    It takes a little training to do it smoothly though.
    I'm sure hundreds of sites give info about it.
    Moonwalk and duck dance are my all time gig favorites.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Wow! You look EXACTLY like Michael Jackson!!!
    j/k ;)

I have no idea. Maybe you need an oxegen tent and the bones of some famous sideshow acts?

4. I can breakdance like nobody's business (side effect from my days as a candy raver) and i can do the "moonwalk" that mj does (not a true moonwalk).
    first stand with both feet next to each other. pop your right foot on to its toes and place all your weight on it. then slide your left foot backwards since you don't have any weight on it, when it gets back far enough, it will automaticallybe pulled up on its toes. this is where it gets tricky. as soon as you left foot pops up, you have to transfer all of your weight from the right foot to the left, the smoother you can do this the more fluid it will look. next, bring the right foot back till it pops up and repeat. it takes a while to get down but it looks cool when you do.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check this out (924kb):

www.geocities.com/bradandjess@sbcglobal.net/moonwalk.mpg

brad cook

Edit: You've gotta copy and paste the address into the address bar. I tried putting it up as a URL but that wouldn't work for some reason...probably because geocities doesn't let you link things to pages.