Trying to pick an Univ to go to exchange to..(Can/US)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, May 11, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey all,

I know there are some US and Canadian people here, many of you students, so perhaps some of you could help me a bit in deciding where to go as an exchange student.

I'm considering coming to the North America, where my partner schools in USA would be Univ of Arkansas, Univ of Tennessee and Florida International Univ, and in Canada, Univ of British Columbia and Univ of Toronto.

Now, I'd like to be in english-speaking neighbourhood, and study Architecture, so pretty much all these univs would suit me. On the other hand, what I don't know is, what kind of cities and areas these are.

I'd like something suitable for a young outgoing fellow like me, lots of live music going around, great club scene etc. but also something where I could be quite close to the nature and wouldn't have to worry for my personal safety constantly.

So, do you know anything of these places? Let me know :bassist:

2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    University of BC has a good school of architecture, if I am not mistaken. Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and definitely the most scenic city in North America, with 8 beaches, skiing close by, great music and lots of young people. It's safe by North American standards and is surrounded by stunning geography.

English is the language. Large Asian community from Hong Kong, Taiwan and India. Great radio stations. Lots of restaurants. Awesome downhill skiing.

UBC campus overlooks Wreck Beach, which is probably Canada's largest nude beach. I have heard estimates of upwards of 1,000-2,000 people on a nice sunny day. Spanish Banks, another beautiful beach is close by. Great places to waste a day lying up against driftwood looking at the Rockie Mountains across the Burrard Inlet.

If you do go, remember to pack an umbrella. It's been know to rain.

One problem with living in Vancouver is that you never want to leave. You've been warned.

Send SMASH a mail. He lives there and can fill you in some more.
  3. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Carleton University in Ottawa has an outstanding B.Arch/M.Arch program...

A CDN university will be much less expensive than a US university for a foreign student, in general.

Carleton University School of Architecture

Ottawa is a city of just under a million inhabitants with a vibrant downtown/bar/club/music scene, two universities and a number of colleges. It's the national capital of Canada and has all the cultural accoutrements such as galleries, museums, festivals, spectator and participatory sports events, etc. We're 1.5 hours from downtown Montreal and 4 hours from Toronto. If you're considering Toronto, you have to check out Ottawa.

Nature is very close at hand - a 10 minute drive from downtown has you in the 360 sq. km. Gatineau Park - cycling, hiking, skiing, watersports, rock climbing, etc. In general, the city is surrounded by the Gatineau Hills, the Canadian Shield to the west and the former Champlain Sea bed to the east and south. You'll have to drive an hour or more to get this if you're in Toronto. Check this link out for a sampling of what you can do here: National Capital Commision

The Carleton Campus is in a bit of "un-urban" setting but is minutes from downtown -->

Here's a shot of Ottawa on approach....

4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    You forgot to mention Ottawa had a hockey team. Had. (teeheeheeehee)

Seriously though, we're looking at universities for our daughter and looking at USA, Canada and the UK. The counsellor at the international school has told us that Canadian universities are recognized as good as American universities. That's a broad statement and subject to variances depending on the specialization. As pointed out above, there is cost advantage to Canadian universities.

Ottawa is a nice city and I'm glad someone posted that info. (forgot to mention Steve's Music, Songbird and L&M music stores).
  5. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ouch....the wounds are still fresh....

..thanks for backing that up, bmc! Lotsa musicians to hook up with, too!

6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    From what I've noticed thus far, a bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree. You will learn pretty much the same material, provided both schools have the program in question. It only really matters where the degree came from once you get into graduate and post-graduate work, where things vary a heck of a lot more.

In those matters, most Canadian universities can certainly hold their own... although granted, a lot of them don't get even close to the funding that their US counterparts do...

Ottawa is nice. I didn't go to uni here, but I live close to U of O and both it and Carleton are pretty safe, and schools with very good reputations.

If you want my opinions on the music stores... PM me. ;)

Calgary's the only place in the country left that still *has* a hockey team... :D
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

My wife lived in residence in Lanark. I was there in March for a couple of days. Always try to get up to Wakefield for a meal at the train station.

Despite that, Vancouver has my heart.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I won't speak as to the Architecture progam at the University of Tennessee, that you will have to research yourself, but I have visited the campus, and it is a nice campus.

Knoxville is a small city, and I felt perfectly safe. It is rather
    a typical middle American city, the rural boundaries and farmlands are close by. Eastern Tenneseee is quite pretty,
    with rolling green hills and the winters are not terribly

Co-eds and Beer certainly are not in
    short supply by any means. You will have to learn the
    rules of American football, as it has one of the most
    successful college football programs in the country, and
    UT fans live, die and breathe football.

You will grow to like the color orange as you will see it everywhere.

Florida IU is not a school I would seriously suggest unless
    you were living locally, the traffic in Miami is absolutely
    horrendous, especially in the winter. The campus is nothing
    special if I recall. I lived nearby back in the 80's and did
    not perceive it to be a school with a top reputation, but a
    second tier school aspiring to a better reputation.

I am not familiar with Arkansas enough to be helpful.

I would consider UT the strongest candidate of the American
    schools you asked about.