Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to put basslines in songs with heavy effects

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 14, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My new band is terrific. Very open minded and friendly people. Our guitarist is not a big lead player. He plays some of the most beautiful melodies with some of the most obscure chords. It is so easy to put a grooving bassline to his stuff, and vice versa. But I used to catch alot of crap from people in other bands, etc. when I was in my old group because I played alot of root notes. I did this because our guitarist then played everything in Drop D was 10,000 effects going 100 miles per hour non stop. I mean, anyone else know what Im saying out there??

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Totally, the drummer from the funk band I play in is trying to get me involved in a metal group he's going into the studio with. Great right?:confused: I'm not so sure. Both of the guitar players play eddie van halen signature model guitars and are fans of dream theater, metallica and van halen:rolleyes:. Makes jamming with them pretty difficult, so I'm not really sure what to do. The drummer and I are trying to bring a different element to there style. You know a little slap, pop and a little groove.;) I've only heard two songs and they song like two long solo's and I hate wanker "I'm the best there is" guitar solos.:mad: I guess in the long run I'm just confused:confused: as to what to do with these boys.(there young 16 & 19. I'm 22 and the drummers 29).

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Fixer, I have only one suggestion. If they are 16 and 19, get the hell away from them.

4. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    I feel your pain JWC.

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'm with JWC, Fixer.

As for putting lines to songs with lots of effects... why not toss in a buttload of effects into your bassline? ;) I recommend the Zoom BFX-708 for this task. I just bought one of my own, and it's positively loaded with neat things to make your gu*tarists cringe. Hehehe.

"OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, JWC?"
    "Oh, that was just my synth bass patch..."
    ;)

I'm fortunate because I really impressed my band's guitarists with my effects pedal and fretless bass. The lead guitarist said, "Does this mean we have to write a funk song?" Yes. Yes, it does. :D

6. My band has one effect and only one guitarist. The effect is Distortion and its used properly. Not all this screeech!

Well FiXer, if you want to play with that band do it, but tell the guys "Hey man i'm sick of all the long wankfest solos" if they get ****ty, then it aint worth it cause you won't be heard anyway :)

Merls

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I might try it out Merlin but I think I'm drawing a lot of conclusions based on where I come musically and where there from. I've been playing 11 yrs. they've been only playing for 5 yrs. but are much more technical than I am as far as arpeggios etc:rolleyes:. Not to mention there ages, I'm not even sure we could play some clubs because of there ages:confused:. On the upside, a friend of mine set me up with a more melodic groove band today but I don't know what to tell the drummer at this point. Hope he's not to crushed.;)

8. yeah jwc, pretty much the only thing dropped D is used for is playing power chords really fast, and it's hard to write a bassline for that which doesn't exactly follow the guitar. it's the style, not the effects, IMO.

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    dancehall, you said it right there. most of my basslines in the old band did in fact follow the guitar. what else could I have really done? I think guitarists that use alot of effects do so to cover up their lack of technique and skill.

10. Tim_Tool

Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    My guitar player just got an effects pedal today. We worked on a new song with it, but it hasnt made my job any more difficult. I guess its just me. I start out playin the root of what the guitarist is playin (unless i came up with a line and theyre tryin to think of something to go with it) and go from there, moving around in the scale. The effects dont seem to get in the way.
    Also, me and 1 of the guitarist are both 16, and our other guitar player and the drummer are both 21. It hasnt set us back when we want to play at a bar, cause weve been playing bars every weekend for the past month.
    My 2 cents. and i just realized i probably sounded like somewhat of a dikhed. not intended.

11. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cool Tim, no prob. I was actually just curious about the age thing. I used to play in a band with a great drummer who was only 17 yrs. old :p but his dad played flute and pretty much any wind instrument with us(they were great), so I didn't know if it would make a difference or not as far as age go's.

12. I was fortunate.In my old band the members let me do what I wanted most of the time.In fact I was given much artistic freedom in most of the bands I've played in.In Elder I started to use a combination of effects:a Mutron Phaser 2,bass wah,and a Boss bass distortion.I came up with alot of interesting sounds.However,when it came to setting up and breaking down for each rehearsal and gigs,it became a pain and I stopped using effects all together. Now I'm just satisfied to plug straight into the amp.