1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trying to put my friend at ease...refretting content.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 30, 2008.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    a friend needs to get a re-fret on his 70's p-bass that he just acquired and someone told him they shave down the board and re-slot the newly planed fret board then put the frets in. so he is hesitant on doing it because he likes the sizes of the neck.

i was always under the assumption that the frets just get banged out from the side, and then new frets are banged back in. or they get pulled out, and then new ones glued in.

who is correct?

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It's been done both ways.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Truing the fingerboard may be optional. Taller frets could be used and dressed down instead, depending on how bad it is. It might not need all that.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    interesting. i can't see why someone would want their fingerboard shaved down...

5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    If it has been re-fretted too many times, there will be no wood to grip the frets.

Or it might feel thinner overall, some might like this.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    interesting.

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Just look at the de-fretting threads, most of them show the chips that can come out.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    interesting. it seems the best way to remove frets is to pull them out slowly and carefully.

hopefully the luthier i suggest does it the right way and doesn't mss it up to where he has to sand down the neck.

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Well, I would expect a luthier to know what approach to take.