1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to Raise $$$$ for a new Bass.. Which head to Keep/Sell...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanBass, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I was toying with the idea of selling a bass to raise the funds, but kept talking myself out of that.

Then it occured to me that I have two heads and truthfully with most places we play having solid backlines, they just sit. That said, it's always good to have, just in case... But two? Maybe not. No extensive touring, I am a plug in and play kinda player.

So this is what I have...

1) Vintage Acoustic 270 mid 70's - I'd say 1974(??) - love it. History, coolness, the whole vibe.

2) Peavey T-Max Head - (with the tube and SS options...) incidentally, I have the 2 x 10 cabinet it comes out of too.. I just use it more out of the cab than in combo form.

Was just curious if I should lean to one or the other - I am ok either way.. Unloading one will garner me more than the other I would assume?

GASing for a new bass and since starving artist is a very real thing, this is my avenue.. Aside from other stuff that will have the neighbors talking.. :p

Thanks in advance!

DB

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have a T-max and I'd never sell it. Peavey's had a few gems along the way and that's one of them. Reliable, good sounding, powerful and much more versatile than the Acoustic. I'd keep that one. Though I may personally may not view it this way, the Acoustic may fetch more $$ to put towards your bass as well, just due to "nostalgic value" or whatever it is people rave about over the old Acoustics. I think the Peavey is the better amp, even though you might not get that much for it if you did sell it.

3. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I've noticed the good reviews that the T-Max gets here and elsewhere... yeah, I've hung onto the Acoustic for a few reasons.. the vintage-ness.. I had a 1972 SVT I since sold (damn thing weighed 700lbs.. or felt that way up the 3rd flight of steps at 4am after a show) and kept the Acoustic.. Then saw Jaco fiddling on stage with an Acoustic head.. and have seen other recognizable musicians that used it.. It was my "link".. if even in a small delusional way :rolleyes:

But maybe it's time. (Daddy wants a new MIJ Fender) :)

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I think the older Acoustics may be harder to come across, I've been trying to find one to test out without success.