trying to read bass clef (merged thread)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by billybo, Jul 30, 2002.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    im tryin to play in my school band but i need to know how to read bass cleff music...anywhere oin the net i can learn for free???thanks
  2. Well, you could start by posting under "general instruction" instead of effects. We don't play music in this forum..only our toys.
  3. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    im tryin to play in my school band but i need to know how to read bass there a website i can go to to learn for free...
  4. 5 lines:

lines are: G B D F A (good boys deserve fudge

Spaces are: A C E G (all cows eat grass?)

Do you already know how to read treble, any
    music reading experience?
  5. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    mann.....a long time ago when i was in elementry(now in 11th) i played the clarinet..but i dont remeber a dam thing..... but im playing the trombone this year so i will learn their but i need to learn now so i can do good in try-outs...but i dont realy remember much about clarinet ..
  6. How long do you have? Can you afford the
    time to use a book?

One thing can help, the bass clef is also the F clef, because the symbol at the beginning of the staff is bas(s)ically a stylized F, the f line is in between the two dots on the symbol. Am I just confusing you?
  7. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    yeah you are confusing me..but i have untill mid septmember...i could read a book from library...any suggestions?
  8. um... click post reply, not "new thread"
  9. If you know anybody that plays bass, that would be helpful, person to person instruction, otherwise beside a book or lessons i dunno what you could do
  10. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    ..any suggestions on books?
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  12. The way I remember learning to read:
    #1 - D is the middle line.
    #2 - above D is E F G A B C
    #3 - below D is C B A G F E
    (these are all the notes played in the first five frets)

Now in the 'first position'(for lack of a better term) play the following:

On E String:
    F G A
    On A String:
    B C D
    On D String:
    E F G
    On G String:
    A B C

Now you know where all the notes are on the bass. Find some simple blues lines, progressions and play real slow saying the notes OUT LOUD as you play along.

Also, write you own music(doesn't have to sound good) just write dots on the lines and spaces and play it back. It will really help in reading.

The only real way to do it is to sit down for 30min a day and do it. Before you know it you will be reading like king.

Later -
  13. dude i play tromebone to. it would be easyer if u imed me. (bassistnamedmike)
  14. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    There is a book I picked up a few months ago called "Music Reading for Bass - The Complete Guide" It got me started pretty good. I already had experience reading guitar and piano stuff, so that helped. The only problem is that I only did the first half of the book and never touched it again because I didn't like the exercises. I picked up a book with a few jazz classics that has no tabs in it. So, after practicing Miles Davis' So What for about a week, I learned a lot more than I did from the other book. So, I think the way to learn how to read is to start by figuring out which note is where, and somebody already posted on that, and then find transcriptions of music that you like but WITHOUT tabs and play them.
  15. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    But i'm having a problem with reading rhytms...I can read steady eigth-note grooves, with your random rest here and there, but I get totally lost with sixteenth-note rhythms, when there is, for example, a sixteenth-note attached to a eight note:

1 - and - uh
    16th 8th

would that be played similar to a triplet??

also dotted rhythms, are confusing ha

any sites that can help with my problem or replies, thanks...:D

Take the reading course, it's all you need.
  17. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    I'm actually taking the course, never bothererd to look at the other lessons...!