Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to refret at lined fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pete, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have a bass that is a decent fretless I built using a fretboard with .022" grooves for frets. I played it for 6 years and now I decided to fret the beast. So I did, only problem was that 4 or 5 fret kerfs are just a little too big and won't hold the fret tang down on one end or the other.

I could easily defret the bass and call it even, but I'd like to try and fret these last few frets. Is there anyway to fill in these kerfs?

thanx
    pete

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    One school of thought on fretting starts with the slot slightly over-sized and glues the frets in. The thinking is that a wider slot means less compressed wood when fitting the frets, yeilding a truer, more relaxed board. Don't know enough about it to really speak as to the soundness of this thinking... I'm trying to get at, "Have you tried gluing the frets in?"

Or...

Stewmac sells these Fret Tang Resizing Tools... Looks like maybe they'd be worth a try...

Good Luck!

-robert

3. The man who's name no one can pronounce is right on here. I'd try the tang crimpers.

BTW, you understand that you probably won't be able to go back to fretless with this one again?!!:D

4. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The last few fret jobs I've done were without glue and have been OK. Anyway, I may just leave it unfretted.

pete