1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to replace Fender Jazz bridge - need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrme93, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mrme93

mrme93

Jul 7, 2008
    I'm trying to replace the bridge on a used Fender MIM Jazz (5 string) bass I bought. I haven't been able to find a suitable drop in so far for the bridge.

The old owner said the bass is from around 1999-2000
    And the bridge resembles the crude drawing in paint I attached. the circles being the screw holes on the bass. Not 5 along the back like most I have seen.

Was looking at something like a badass 2, five string version. Will it work or something similar? I rather not mod the bass much.

p.s. main reason for switching the orig. bridge is pretty gunky, rusting a bit etc.

Attached Files:

• diag.bmp
      File size:
      123.8 KB
      Views:
  2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Did Fender make MIM 5 strings in 1999???

I strongly suggest you take a photo and post that - - this sounds odd...

3. mrme93

mrme93

Jul 7, 2008
    I'm awaiting on a photo however running the S# checks out that at least the neck is indeed a 1999-2000 Mexican 5 String Jazz neck.

The bridge may have been replaced or maybe its a Mexican neck bolted to a squire body...if it is I would be very angry. Maybe its something they tride for a while? I have no idea. The bass plays and sounds good, and the body is solid..so I'm not sure. I tend to think its legit..just has an odd bridge on it.

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    My former Deluxe Active Jazz V (MIM) was built in 1998. Pretty sure they had Standard MIM's at that time, too.

PM sent with some info, 'mrme93'...

5. mrme93

mrme93

Jul 7, 2008
    The problem is that I don't think any standard Fender bridge I have seen will drop right in. My bridge has five screw holes, but three are are at the rear ( left center and right) while the other two are at the frount at the left and right.
    A strange one. But I still love the bass. Haha.

6. mrme93

mrme93

Jul 7, 2008

Attached Files:

7. sorry, you got me stumped! i'm sure if you take to a tech, they could retrofit just about any bridge on there, (badass, hipshot, etc).

8. Won't the "MEXICAN V STRING BASS BRIDGE" at the lower left of the page from Guitar Parts Resource fit???? It has 5 holes that appear to be in the correct positions.

Roger

9. yup birdman, you're right!!!

10. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Get the badass. You won't have to drill new holes, and it says Badass on it!