1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to rewire a Bartolini preamp's configuration

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bryan316, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Allright, I've got a lead on snagging a Bartolini HR3.4 wiring assembly, so it makes it far more affordable to go completely Bart in my project. The problem is the actual configuration of the controls are not what I want. This kit has a stacked two-volume control and then the EQ knobs. I've never liked two volume controls, so I haven't bought this set yet. However... it sure seems that the 5.2 A/P or 5.4 A/P sets have what I want, and the only apparent difference would be how the pots are wired for which controls.

My burning curiosity in my mind is telling me to ask y'all, whether it is practical to buy this 3.4 preamp kit, use the electronic components which are identical in all of their preamps, and just get the wiring diagram of the 5.2 or 5.4 and buy the right pots to make it work.

I've looked for the actual wiring schematics online, to no avail. Does anyone have a better source for me to rewire the HR3.4 to a 5.2? Should I just call up Bart and ask them directly to email me a drawing?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

There’s a bass mod link in the first paragraph of this thread that may be useful

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276127

The pre is the same and the only difference is the way their wired. You can cut and paste from any diagram if you can figure it out. You can also cause yourself a lot of grief trying to get find your missing pot/component. I would locate that first. That you're asking the question is not a good prognosis actually.

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Yeah I'm sure once I go back to the store and look at the instructions, they'll describe the actual wire leads off the electronic modules just fine. And I can look at the actual pots to find what ohm load they are rated at. After that, it's just deductive reasoning to figure the rest out. My big thing is correctly installing a volume and balance, instead of two volumes. I'm about to go up to the store, and I'll take a notepad and scribble all the details down. Maybe xerox the instructions.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The Bart has the wiring diagram for vol/blend for both the NTMB and NTBT.

5. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    HOLY CRAAAP is this instruction manual detailed! If I get my scanner reinstalled and find a place to put it, I'd share it with youz guyz to see just how perfectly detailed out everything is! I wish EMG's stuff or Fender's stuff was this perfect! Colors of the wires, capacitor ratings, resistor ratings, awesome. Simply awesome.

So what I think I'm gonna do, is figure out how to swap the double volume for a volume and blend (which my guitar electronics book should explain nicely), add the 3-way OH BLOODY HELL I just glanced over at this sheet, and it is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! The schematic is FOR three separate EQ knobs, 3-way switch for mids, volume and blend, and my work is freakin DONE here! All I gotta do is buy three 50K-ohm pots, a 25K-ohm pot, and go back to the store and snag the kit! Actually, I might want to keep the stacked pot for the low and high...

Nevermind me, go back to your business, nothing to see here, move along people..

[​IMG]