1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to solo over Hotel California verse - what key is this actually in?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by osciphex, Mar 18, 2008.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    So I need to play a solo during "Hotel California", but I'm not understanding what notes to use-

the verse chords are:
    Bm - F# - A - E - G - D - Em - F#

The song is supposedly in Bm, but the F# and E chords are not in this key. Is there a key change I'm not seeing?

Am I limited to B minor pentatonic only? Even then, there are some notes that will clash against the E major chord..

2. Yup...Bm

Look at the Bm scale (natural)

B C# D E F# G A B

ok? now look at the notes of F#m (F# / A / C#)

see any similarities?

Bm scale (harmonic) B C# D E F# G A# B

Bm scale (melodic) B C# D E F# G# A# B (down is the natural)

Now look at the chords you are questioning aren't in that key.

learn all these scales, and solo you butt off...don't look at notes that can or cannot be there...look for notes that sound good, knowing all of these scales will really help with HC.

And remember there can also be accidentals that seem like rules are broken (but they're not)

Hope this helps?

3. BTW the second chord in the verse is F#7, and the last chord is F# (brilliant eh? - that's why this song has always been on my personal top 10 list)

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I re-checked the recording before sending this post just to make sure that the second chord is an F#7 (as I remembered it) and I can tell you: It's an F#7. If you listen to the intro, the lead guitar plays an A# on the second measure, which is part of the F#7 chord (an E can also be heard). It's exactly the same chord progression for the verse (also checked it for the whole tune - the A# can be clearly heard), so there's never an F#m chord. The last chord is also an F#7.

5. sorry you're right, I stand corrected.