Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to Start A Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Mar 18, 2006.

1. I guess this is the right forum to put this in....
    Anyway: I am desperate to start a band. I've been playing bass for over 5 years, I've become a pretty good player and I NEED to get myself in a band.
    The only time I've been able to play with other people was the last 3 years of high school where I was in the school band, and occassionally I can jam with a guitar player friend of mine, but he kinda sucks. He can make up some cool riffs, but he doesn't know ANYTHING about music or his instrument (he doesn't even know where the notes are on the neck, nothing).
    So, I ask you fellow TB'ers, how the hell do I start/join a band?
    Here's a rough outline of my "connections":
    All of the available musicians I know also play bass. I know 6 other bassists, so it's unlikely that I will be playing with them. Any other musicians I know are already in bands, or they play heavy metal which I really don't want to play, or they suck as previously mentioned. I don't know any drummers. I don't have a car right now which will be a HUGE limitation, but I'm working on fixing that.
    So basically, I need to know: Where do I find other musicians to start jammin with? Are there any website I can use like a classified ad or something like that? Are there any drummers in here who live on Long Island and wanna do something:)?

I've been playing bass alone for years and I'm really sick of it. I NEED a band ASAP. Please help, any way you can, please:bawl:.

2. BuffaloMO

BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ
    Same problem here. I have run an ad in the newspaper for months and only received a couple of inquiries. Other musicians are out there someplace. Good luck! :D

3. 1. Go to where the bands all play - clubs - hang out and meet people.
    2. Post ad in local music store / cool record store
    3. Post ad in local online musician classifieds
    4. Post ad in local entertainment paper

I was lucky enough to start playing with my close friends when we were kids. We all took our roles very seriously - learned lots of challenging songs - did the battle of the bands thing - finally started playing 'clubs' etc. I still play with the same guitar player I played with when I started back in the mid 80's... amazing, huh? We have a gig tonight, as a matter of fact.

4. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    ^ what he said ;)
    Yeah, get aquainted with as much people as possible, and post ads. I guess inding guitar players won't be a problem, since everyone seems to play guitar lately (just don't pick a jackass). Your main problem is gonna be the drummer, I guess, and to a certain extent - the vocalist. I don't know how matters go in your area, but you probably have some loose drummer community.

5. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    you seem to want a band more than just some casual jams. that is great. except for one thing: you don't have a car. this is more than just a huge limitation. your professionalism and therefore your reliability is questionable. you have one chance to make a first impression. a band is a commitment; well maintained gear, well maintained attitude. transportation should be a given. make sure all your ducks are in a row before attempting to join a band. you are selling yourself short if they are not. peace, jeff

6. If you want it bad enough you will get it. I just started a band a couple of months ago and we will have our first show in 3 weeks. I found my lead singer on craigslist.org. I grew up with a guy who plays drums and haven't talked to him in a few years. I called him and he wanted to do it. I advertised on craigslist for a lead guitarist and found an awesome one. But, don't settle. Find like minded people who want to play the same stuff. We are all in our very early thirties, have professional jobs, and all wanted to do this for fun. We also like to play the same stuff, so we are covering, STP, Deftones, Bush, Audioslave, Godsmack, etc....with some originals.
    However, you need a car. I refused to start a band with people who did not click with the drummer and I. We have only known each other for a short while, but we are friends, which is important is you want your band to survive.
    So basically 1) It will happen is you want it too 2) Don't settle 3)Get a car 4)Use craigslist.org
    Hope this helps.
    D

7. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    +1 on the car thing. I wouldn't even start looking for a band until you have wheels. That being said, I would check out two places: bulletin boards at local music stores and the classifieds in the local arts & entertainment paper (similar to the Voice or the Advocate).

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

1. Get transportation
    2. Get the word out a. village paper, b. Newsday, c. local on line classified, d. music stores bulletin boards, e. music department at local universities (CW Post, Adelphi, Hofstra, Nassau Community, Soffolk Community, Stony Brook, etc...) Just ask before you post the signs.
    3. Find out where the local jam nights are and go and ask
    4. Ask you other bass player friends.

There should be plenty of opportunity in Long Island. Lots of kids with parents with plenty of disposable money to buy Johnny a guitar. When I was growing up in LI, there was a garage band (or basement band) every half mile.

Where are you in LI? Good luck.

9. Hahahaha, until I read the part where you said "when I grew up in LI", I was kinda confused about how a guy in Florida knew so much about LI. Anyway, I'm grew up in Baldwin and moved to Freeport 3 years ago (the nice part of Freeport LOL....if you know the town, you'll get that).
    I think my problem is that I'm not yet "on the scene". I rarely go to any local concerts unless a friend is playing in one, so I don't get to spread the word too much. Plus, I'm still only 20, so I can't even get into a lot of bars/clubs where the gigs are going on. So I don't as have much exposure to the local music scene as I'd like.
    However, I have a solid job lined up that I'm starting in April so I should be able to get a car on the road by May/June. I'm dedicating the summer to finding a band. As soon as I get the wheels, I'm just going to ambush the music community with fliers and ads. Colleges, websites, newspapers, music stores, friends of friends, etc. Once I have the car, all my problems will be solved.
    BTW, where in LI are you from?

10. Bassmanbob

I grew up in the Mineola area. When I was 12 we moved from Williston Park to Garden City. Then I went to Adelphi University before going to graduate school in Manhattan.

Unfortunately LI, like many other parts of the country, requires a car to get around. I would suggest a car that will fit your bass as well as your amp and cabs. That can be challanging.

If you want to dedicate the summer to getting into a band, make you flyers now for the colleges. They will be out by the end of May, and only a small number of students take classes in the summer, limiting the number of people who will see your flyers.

Good luck.

11. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    The best way I found for bass players to start bands, is to hook up with a drummer, get tight then put an add out. If you can't hook up with a drummer then hook up with a guitar player. there's usually plenty of those around. Check on Craigslist.org., check communitymusician.com and check HarmonyCentral.com.
    Hope this is helpful.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The drummer and sax player from my band went to a blues open jam last night to "audition" keyboardists and we'll go to a jazz open jam next Wednesday to continue the search.

I am a HUGE fan of open jams, because you can check out other musicians, and when they call YOU up, then you can show them what you've got....great way to meet potential band mates!!!

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i disagree. i was in a band for two years without a car and i did fine on public transportation. didnt rely on anybody for rides. the key is twofold 1. light gear 2. a good dolly

my gear is schroe 1210 (50lbs), AI Focus SA 3.5lbs, bass podxt about 2.5lbs. If you can count on PA support you could get a schroe mini 12 Light 21LBS.

Now if you were a drummer, that's another story!

14. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I have found many "bassist wanted" ads on craigslist. If you're decent, you'll get calls. I have seen many bass players who are average at best getting gigs. Be patient.

15. Bassmanbob

The kid's in Long Island. I want to see you take public transportation in Long Island. He's not in Manhattan.

16. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Why not start a band with multiple bassists?