1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trying to teach a bandmate guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 11, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    So yes, before I ever picked up a bass, I was a guitarist (haven't played guitar at a gig since the 90s though).

Whats happened in my new band is this. My cousin and I put this band together from scratch. We are both singers/writers, and are the "band leaders" to speak. He handles more of the music arrangement, set lists, song selection, etc. I handle more of the bookings and business side ... although I write most of our originals. The rest of the guys are pretty crack musicians (not on crack, but good players), but are pretty much good enough to be "hired guns" for whoever.

However, we have another family member in the band, who is going to play rythm guitar. He wont perform with us until he is ready, but in the meantime, Ive been teaching him guitar. Heres my issue... Im an "ok" teacher, I think..

But the issue... he has GREAT hand dexterity. He can play the scales I taught him smoothly and fluently. He can play the chords smoothly. Chord changes.. he can do them quickly. He has the mechanics DOWN pat. BUT... he has no sense of music. He cannot sense a chord change coming. He cant even tell when the band is changing chords. If he gets lost, he cant find himself again. He is totally hapless if he gets lost, or misses a change. Ive tried counting measures with him... doesnt work. Ive tried having him follow the other guitars or me.. doesnt work. The guy has NO SENSE of music. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help him. He has the physical tools and mechanics to do this...