1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tsar Bomba - King of the Bombs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Jul 25, 2012.

1. I must be going crazy or something, but I find myself fascinated by nuclear explosions. There's just something both beautiful and terrifying about them, and at times I like to go to YouTube and watch videos of them going off. The two that fascinate me the most are the Tsar Bomba, the massive Soviet 57 megaton thermonuclear detonation in 1961, and the Atomic Cannon which the US tested back in 1953. The destructive power of a nuclear explosion must have been something to behold!

2. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I promise I'm not trying to pee on your parade, but I share Isaac Asimov's viewpoint of nuclear bombs being a foolish use of the technology. It would be like building a McPhearson Strut in order to clobber someone over the head with it rather than support a car, the way I see it. So much can be done besides letting the reaction run away into an explosion.

I will admit, though, that I like watching stuff blow up. Those vids will always be fascinating.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Just got done watching a bunch of nuke vids... no thanks. I think it's absolutely horrifying that people actually invented those kinds of weapons.

4. Sadly, throughout history, killing each other is one of the strongest drivers of technology :-/

(Funnily enough, the other strongest driver being fixing each other, talk about humans being polar!)

5. You're certainly right about that. I watched one video (I like learning about this stuff too) of a British soldier who had observed a nuclear test. Their instructions were to face away from the blast, close their eyes, and cover their eyes with their hands. He did all that, and when the bomb went off he could see all the bones in his hands. Then the shock wave knocked them all off their feet. They were miles away.

6. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I've always been in awe of nuclear arsenal. Such amazing destructive power. That being said, I hope to never see one detonated in my lifetime.

I do wish that there was a way to get around the nuclear enrichment treaties for the sake of building power stations, but there are far too many crazy people and international political distrusts for that to happen in the near future.

7. This.

8. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Well, when fixing each other it is generally after someone has tried to kill the other person. (Prosthetic limb advancements since the start of the war on terror [which in itself is an oxymoron])

9. Yes, but that is only part of it.

Medicine (and related fields) are one of the strongest drivers in technology, but it is not soley, nor even mainly for the treatment of injuries inflicted by someone else.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    As much as I hate the thought of nuclear weapons ever being used, they've ironically helped us avoid world war for the past 60+ years. In a oddball way, the more terrifying they are, the better I guess. If we're scared, maybe that's the one thing that keeps us from getting stupid again.
    But I'd wager that man himself even without nuclear weapons is his most dangerous "WMD". Look at it this way, the only atomic/nuclear attacks in history - Nagasaki + Hiroshima deaths = 199,000
    bad, very bad.

The Warsaw Uprising where guns, bombs, flamethrowers, artillery and execution of civilians were used = 170,000 - 220,000 deaths without a single atom being fused or split.. that's potentially MORE than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

The firebombing of Tokyo Feb-March 1945 comes out to around 100,000 - 120,000 deaths. Again, without a single atomic or nuclear reaction being at fault.

We can certainly kill quite well even without nuclear weapons. maybe it's good that we're scared?

11. All of these explosions depicted in the YouTube videos happened in the period between the end of WW2 and the signing of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in 1962. I think that Relic is right, that the very destructiveness of these weapons is what's kept them from being used, as well as witnessing the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I'm certainly not advocating for their existence and certainly not for their use. As long as even one exists there's always the threat of them being used. I just find them fascinating to watch and contemplate the enormous power they can generate. As long as it stays at 50 years ago!

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.

And I'm not convinced they've prevented war. Vietnam, Korea, both Desert Strikes, Afghanistan, and to lesser extents Iran-Contra and the Cuban Missile Crisis/Bay of Pigs. We've been very militarily active since the first bombs went off in WWII, and while no other nukes have been used we've certainly felt a need to build more and make each one stronger than the last.

13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I'm fascinated by them as well, in a train-wreck sort of way. They are horrible yet I can't look away. They had to rig the tsar bomb with a parachute to slow it's decent so they could fly out of the red zone.

You should check out the movie Trinity and Beyond narrated by Shatner. Lots of good footage in that one.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Not "war", but global world war akin to WW1 and WW2. And (if I'm recalling right) our nuclear arsenal is SMALLER than that of Russia's, and our missiles actually have a smaller nuclear yield. Ours are however supposedly more accurate. Then again in a nuclear explosion, does that matter?
    The last 60 years has seen many "proxy wars" where each side squares off for influence without fully investing. I think that may be the best we can hope for sadly.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    King of Bombs?

[​IMG]

16. that's what i thought

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    As a physicist, I find a mushroom cloud strangely mesmerising and yet deeply, poignantly sad.

Such power on a large scale from something so unfathomable small, used in a way to cause nothing but utter devastation. The answer to the worlds inevitable energy crisis lies locked in the atomic nucleus, yet we invest so much time and money in the name of war than we do in the name of securing the future of our planet for our children.

So much more I'd LOVE to say...

18. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Last I knew we were about 1/2 the total explosive power of the Russians with nukes. Israel (who claim not to have any) come in 3rd of 4th.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You'll LOVE The Dark Knight Rises!