Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tub amp, mesa 400, ampeg svt cl, or pro-2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Circus, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Mesa 400+

39 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Ampeg SVT-CL

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Ampeg SVT-2

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Other, pls specify

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Well? I have tried all three and really do like all three. So maybe someone can help me tip the scales somewhat. I will also probably put jj's or svets on the one I get once the current tubes crap out.

2. thats gonna be tough man, you can't go wrong with any of them. I went with the Mesa because of the weight, and it was a little bit cheaper than the svt2. I really didn't want the classic, unless it was vintage one.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    For different reasons, I think all three choices are good amps. The Mesa just seems fatter and more to my own personal taste but, of course, it really is a matter of taste. I still own a 400+ although I don't use it anymore. I owned an SVT-CL and it was a very good, powerful amp that sounded great through an Ampeg 810. Not on a par with a vintage one but very good, nonetheless. And while I haven't owned the SVT-2, I have used 'em in backlines and found them also good. In fact, Oteil Burbridge had two of 'em in his rig when I saw him in concert with the Allmans recently. And he sounded good mic'd up, that's for sure.

4. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Any tub amp will be fine. Assuming, of course that you use it with a washtub bass!:D

5. O obviously washtub bass is the way to go :bassist: :D
    I was thinking of maybe adding a gk to the list, I know its a totally different sound, but I like both sounds. I was looking at gk 800rb, or maybe a 1001 or 2001. However I think either of these tubes would blow it away, gk is still one of my favourite amp companies, and can't be left out i guess :)

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    this threads been done a bunch, so to save some time i'll sum up what everyone will say. you'll get a bunch of people that vote for vintage svt's all the way, anything new is not even close, and if you are to buy new then get a 400+. you'll get a couple of people (like myself) who like the cl a lot and vote for that, and of those you'll get some who say they're basically the same amp. the pro 2 offers a graphic eq, and a different knob that's for grind or something to that effect. and you'll get just about everyone telling you that it depends on your sound and what you want. my advice, play the mesa and the ampeg a lot. consider that the 400+ is considered to be much more versatile, if that's something that suits you. the 400+ is also, lighter and cheaper. although you can get some used cl's on ebay for very cheap seeing as they don't sell for much.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I recently acquired a Fender 300 PS for about 300 bucks. It's a real boat anchor, weighs in at over 100 pounds, but boy does it sound great. Those 6550 tubes really make the bass kick. I've been using it with an 18" EVX-180A speaker, it's a perfect combination. 300 honest tube watts. Sounds amazing with my new myrtle body Roscoe. At that price the old boat anchor is hard to beat. They're up on eBay periodically, if you're patient you can find one in good condition.

8. While i'm normally an Ampeg fan all the way, since you didn't list a vintage SVT i'd have to say the Mesa 400+. For some reason the 2-pro bores me, and i'm a little anti-SLM/Crate to give the SVT-CL a thorough thumbs-up.

The Mesa is a killer amp, sooo much headroom, tone controls for Africa. Pity about the amount of tubes (13?) and the fact that they're all crap (well, IMHO Chinese Mesa tubes are rubbish). It would sing with a load of JJ's installed.

Don't forget the shock-mounted rack and the gym membership to bulk up so moving the beast doesn't wear too thin too soon! :D

9. lol, yeah, but I think the mesa 400 will be awesome. I'll probably get jj's installed after I get some money up again. Its good with stock tubes, awesome with jj's. Does the fact that you have like 12 tubes make up for how small they are? compared to most other tube amps that have 4 6550's?

10. The 400+ still uses 6550 tubes for it's power section (8 of them from memory). The rest are preamp (and one for the DI? - man, it's been a while since I rooted around the back of one).

Can't beat those JJ's...my Ampeg V4 was a totally different beast after I upgraded to them.

11. The 400+ uses 12 6L6s in the power section for 300W (25 per is actually generous for most 6L6s). 4 preamp tubes, all 12A-series. Get rid of the stock Mesa tubes ASAP.... I'm with nil on the JJs...:bassist:
    The 400+ is a great sounding amp! But so are the SVTs.... One of each? :p:D

12. That my friends is my dream. I'll hook each one up on one of my 2x12 cabs. 600 watts of tube bliss. :eek: :bassist:

Yeah I know it would be pointless to take to a gig that has a big PA. But still I want to experience the sound that would come out from that.

13. 1970 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    theres a 400+ w/ JJ's in the classifieds section for 800 plus shipping.
    here

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How about an Aguilar DB680 + DB728? :D

Most likely way out of your preferred pricerange, but worth it IMO. ;)

16. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    I really prefer svt2pro to mesa 400+, and ampeg is cheapier than mesa in france.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I prefer tub amps because... oh wait... I like my SVT CL a lot. :D

18. And the Lancia Fulvia? :D :D

...however my vote goes to the SVT classic :bassist:

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's not 600 watts, that's it's peak power which is worthless. It puts out 300 watts.