Tuba Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eViL cAkE, Apr 1, 2004.

1. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Hey Ya'll

For almost as long as I've been a bassist, I've liked a "full range" type of tone. However my concept of a full range tone is a heavy bottom end, somewhat growly mids and a sparkly top end. Playing style wise, I play fingerstyle, and I'm either playing a note or I'm not, (muted, or ghosted notes have never really appealed to me for some reason).

Recently, I've realized that my taste in tone comes from the tuba being my first serious instrument, as the instrument has a powerful bottom end, brassy top end but a somewhat unfocused mid range.

My current rig consists of; a J-style Modulus Flea 5-string, an Aguilar DB659 preamp, a QSC RMX 1450 power amp and an Aguilar GS 410 cabinet; and it gets a tone extremely close to what I want. But, I just wondered if anyone out there with a similar tone aesthetic has any gear suggestions.

Thankyou :)
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think you want to look for a non-graphite necked bass, but still go high end. Most graphite necked basses lose the boomy low end/smooth high end. They're usually sharp sounding and have agressive mids. The best thing you can do is play around, and if you have the time visit some places with a lot of high end basses. I've been around a lot of brass instruments being a former trumpet player, and still in marching band (playing bass). I somewhat understand what your looking for. From my experience, some Ric 4003's can achieve a brass-ish tone.
  3. Some of Paul McCartney's tones on Sgt. Pepper are definitely brass-ish. He was using a Ric 4001 if I'm not mistaken.
  4. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Or, you could just play tuba. A singer that my band auditioned for awhile was into a band called MNMNM, sort of a Blink 182 meets Weird Al monstrosity. Their bassist played tuba.

On second thought, nevermind. :spit:
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wasn't it a 4001S or C64 or something?
  6. According to the book Beatles Gear it was indeed a 4001S. Not sure what the "S" stands for. McCartney received it in 1964, so that may be the C64? I don't know much about Rickenbackers, just that the Beatles used them to great effect.

Regarding the tuba, Drums and Tuba and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band both have tubists who cover down the low end. The dude in the Dirty Dozen is killer.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The 4001S is a model only released in the UK.