Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuba players ... ever hear of Benton Minor?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 6, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just curious. He was my high school band director, but gained some notoriety in later years.

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    The name was familiar, but I had to do search to refresh my memory.

I'm pretty sure he was at Cal State Fullerton when I was suffering under Larry Curtis at Long Beach. I don't remember name as a tuba player, but as one of the heavy-hitter band directors. It seems so goofy now, but when you're 18 those guys were like gods. I think I might have known of Minor through Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, which was the music fraternity I belonged to, too.

Thanks for the post Munchy--in my digging around, I found an alumni site where I can buy a CD with stuff I played with Beach back in 1981. I lost the vinyl about 15 years ago, but some folks have apparently dumped a bunch of the old vinyls on a CD. We did Chase's "Open Up Wide," and it kicked butt. Neato.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He was indeed a great director. Very strict disciplinarian, but a great motivator and teacher. He took our band to the Sweepstakes Trophy at the All-Western Band Review in Long Beach back in the mid-60's. Most of what I understand about music fundamentals I learned from him.