Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuba Xmas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SilverTurtle, Dec 5, 2005.

1. I know I've seen one or two other people mention on here that they play tuba. Anyone else playing in a Tuba Christmas event this year?

I grew up near Akron, OH, which has a killer Tuba Christmas. Upwards of 400 tuba players, and they have to do two shows because so many people come to see it. I've got a gig (playing bass) this year on the same night.

But it will be my first year playing here in Columbus, Ohio. I was happy when I found they finally put up an official site:
    www.tubachristmas.com

Any non-tuba players who want to check out a unique, free, holiday concert should look for the event in their city, too! :hyper:

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I miss my tuba :( :( :(

but it funded my schroeder....my horn was very rarely brought out of the closet......I still miss it :bawl:

3. That sucks you sold the tuba. Super-fun instrument, even if there aren't that many gigs for it.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I play tuba and would never participate in that. I mean, I enjoy it and all but it is not a nice sounding instrument even if you are Arnold Jacobs. I'd always rather play bass over tuba. Tuba players blow...hard.

5. nettor - are you serious?

First, if I didn't like the sound of an instrument, I wouldn't keep playing it myself.

Second, I think tubas can sound awesome - pretty and sorrowful to might and powerful. My opinion, of course, and everyone's entitled to their own. But that just goes back to my first point.

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well....having read his band's bio....

it's going to be difficult for a tuba, in the hands of any mere mortal, to be able to stand up his expectations

:pDH: