1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp being vertical - bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by copeland83, Jul 10, 2014.

1. copeland83

copeland83

May 31, 2014
    Hi all

I did a search but all it comes up with is stuff about upright basses (dbl bass). I have a svt cl with a road case that has wheels on one end and a extendable handle (like luggage/suitcase). A couple of times I have left it standing vertical. My question is, is it bad for tube amps to be vertical/on their ends like that? Can it do any damage to the tubes or other components or is it fine?
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I can't think of any reason that would be a bad idea, except it being a bit unstable. Just don't let it fall over.

3. copeland83

copeland83

May 31, 2014
    Stability is no issue it sits fine. Found a picture of a case the same. Didn't think it would be an issue but I've never owned a full tube amp before so wasn't sure.

uploadfromtaptalk1404996819197.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    No issues at all doing that as far as the amp is concerned. I keep my SVT in an ATA case on its side because it takes up less space.

The only potential problem is not with the amp but with the ATA case. On its side, there is more weight spread over a smaller surface area. The end of the amp is smaller than the bottom. Depending on the type of foam that you have in your case, it might compress the foam more and with time, this compression might become permanent. Not a big issue and a lot of "mights". Descent cases have good quality foam that this wouldn't be an issue with.

5. mrmills

mrmills

Jun 22, 2009
    Kent, UK
    Some valves/tubes can only be used orientated in certain ways but none of them end up in valve/tube amps.

6. I'd not do this as the cooling flow for the amp was designed for the amp horizontal. If the amp has a fan it's probably OK but i'd still use it horizontal.

HolmeBass likes this.
  7. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Moving them vertical is fine. Running them vertical will cause uneven heat distribution across the tubes vs being run horizontally.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Making the electrons going through the tubes while sitting tilted 90 degrees will cause the sound to come out out of phase. You can use a phase shifter pedal to correct the problem.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The CL fan runs constantly, or at least it should.

10. Wrong thread! ;)

11. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you're in the wrong thread, go to a different one.

Spectrum and Atshen like this.
  12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Downside I can see is cooling as the tubes would be in a vertical row and the heat from the bottom ones will rise into the top ones. I don't know if the amps exhaust fan is enough to combat this but an additional small fan in the rear blowing on the power tubes should help take care of it.

Then of course there's Fenders where there is no cooling fan and the tube heat rises right up into the amp and they last decades, so.....

rodl2005 likes this.
  13. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The advantage of the pedal is that you can adjust the phase for any angle. This is opposed to a phase aligned speaker which fixes the amount of phase correction.

But it doesn't work for metal. Head bangers are constantly changing the phase that they perceive when they bounce their heads.

14. No problem being vertical. My SVT has been sitting vertically in my office for the past year. The only problem is it hasn't been getting used for the past year.

15. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I don't do it. It just seems wrong. I don't like to even pick an amp up or set down vertically as there is going to be some lateral pressure on the sockets. Once or twice, no big deal...but as a regular practice I wouldn't do it.

16. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    So what you are saying is there is no best phase for metal?

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    It depends on the song. That's the problem with metal, it's way too technical.

18. The cooling/heat build-up issue is what came to my mind right away, too. Something that could probably be dealt with though, even if just run a small fan blowing on the amp.

19. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Why don't you just contact Ampeg tech support?

20. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Actually, I'm interested in this for my EBS head. If I can get away with standing it on end, I could stick my SVT 210AV on top and not need an amp stand :)