Tube amp choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, Nov 9, 2011.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I currently use a Peavey Tour 450 bass amp which has served me well the last four years, however I am thinking about upgrading to a new amp. This time around I am thinking about going tube and have a budget of $500-$700 to spend so I am probably looking at going the used route. I have done some searching and have found two amps that caught my interest in features as well as the price they are listed. First amp is a Traynor YBA200, it is in great condition and according to the seller it works great with new tubes. I realize with this amp I would be downgrading from 450 watts to 200, however this amp is tube and I am sure is loud. I have heard samples on video reviews, however I am unable to play one because no music stores have one in stock around here right now. This is one of the cheapest prices I have come across on a all tube amp though. The other amp is a Peavey VB-2 Tour Pro Series. It is cutting close to my budget max on price and again is labeled as 225 watts but again that is tube. It also looks bigger and heavier than the Traynor. And also I have been unable to play one because it is not in stock so I have checked out video reviews.

Turning to the trusty TB community I ask which amp would be the better overall upgrade? Or should I just stick with my solid state Tour 450? I mainly play rock music and like to be loud, but also like great tone and sound and experimenting. How would both of them compare or stack up against the Tour 450? My cabinet is a Mesa PowerHouse 6x10. I have also considered a Mesa M3 or M6 Carbine, but cannot find one in my price range.

Any opinions is appreciated.

Thanks and rock on! :bassist:

2. 200 tube watts is a lot louder than 450 solid state watts.
    I had the YBA200 and loved it. I wish I never got rid of mine.

Edit: I just saw that your cab is a Mesa 610. That with the Traynor would be a killer rig!

3. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't played the Traynor but have heard tons of good things about them and almost bought one. I did just order a PV-2 and have played on one at a store and LOVE it! IMO either way you go your winning. I would check into the GC used traynor yba 200 they have one for $399 right now and you can get a warranty with it. Would probably put you at right over $500 shipped and with the warranty, which from what i have been told by a sales person covers the tubes in it which an individual won't do. Would at least be worth checking into. Good luck! :bassist:

4. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. The Traynor seems like the cheaper of the two options, especially that one from GC with the warranty and not t mention it covers the tubes as well. I am sure I can sell my Tour 450 with it's road case and put it towards one of these new tube amps.

5. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    My vote is for the Traynor as well. It uses 6550s which have huge overhead compared to the EL34s in the peavey. The Traynor would be louder and punchier IMO.

6. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Double check the tube thing just in case the a$$ clown that told me that was wrong. Some people will say anything to get a sale.:D

7. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Ha ha no doubt, I will check into it. Yeah I am leaning towards the Traynor myself. On the YBA 200, I assume the top one is the passive input and the bottom one is the active input? Was just confused about that.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

<sigh> Here we go again! :scowl:

9. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, by the pics i have seen this appears to be the case.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021