Tube Amp Combo's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 31, 2002.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Why don't hardly anyone make tube combo's anymore? Is it the cost or possibly no demand for them? Or for tube amps you just buy the heads and cabinets?

Does anyone know who all still makes tube combos.

I have owned to different kinds in the past. I had a Gibson that had 2 10's and I still have an old Silvertone that has 1 15 inch speaker. It powers up but does not work. It was probably made in the late 50's and is 100 watts. (I belive.) You talk about having the old school sound.

I know that Ampeg makes one. The portaflex. Mesa Boogie, I am sure there are others.

2. I think the point of having a combo is in it's ease of portability. Tube amps by nature are large and heavy which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a combo.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you can still get them with tube preamps new. as for all tube i dont know of any offhand.
    Some combos are made by tubeworks, Genz benz, Swr, eden. The swr and eden combos are rather pricy and large the GB and TW are smaller and more affordable.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

here's one, and it's $479 new :)
  5. tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    actually i think it stems from the fact that a practical bass amp must be more powerfull than a guitar amp.thus a tube combo,while practical for guitar needs becomes unweildy when you add more tube capacitors,heavier speaker magnets,etc.

my blue angel guitar combo is a 1x12,and weighs a reasonable 65#.correct me if i'm wrong;i remember the ampeg b15r weighs between 95-105#.i use to handload furniture,roady,and i still take care of my mastiff(198#)and american bulldog(110#),so i'm versed in sure aint for everyone.

i've really got an eye for the mesa'buster bass 200,1x15 combo.i hate to buy used,but would in this case;provided my back sees fit.
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Is that a pignose amp? Do you know the model#?
  7. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think tube amp combos just aren't that practical. Most people buy a combo cause they don't want to haul around their 410 cab (85-110 lbs. roughly).

I had a chance to demo a mesa boogie buster 1x15 combo for a few weeks and it was a great tube amp. It weighed over 100 lbs. though. I foolishly returned the amp to GC thinking it was too heavy for a combo amp. If I would have known then that I would be hauling around a 410 like I do now, I definetly would have kept the Buster, especially if I had known then that it would be discontinued. I would have never needed to get a hybrid head and 410 cab. The buster has great tube tone and plenty of volume!

My opinion is that tube amps just don't make practical combos. If anyone wants a tube amp combo, they are probably better off buying a tube head and small cabinet (2x10 or 1x15). Tube Bass Amp transformers add alot of weight to the head.

As for the PIGNOSE:
    I think it is a BV-100.
    Check out their website:
    They also sell a head only version.
    I have no clue about their reputation or sound!
  8. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I would also say that a tube combo is going to be heavy (too heavy for me at least).

However I happened to come across 2 of them (only on the net, not in real life, so I don't know how they sound):
    Trace Elliot V4210H
    (I could not find it on their homepage, so here's a link to a review by Guitarist)

George Dennis Bassic Tube 120 Combo
    (scroll down the page)

9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Kendrick (Gerald Weber) made a 100 watt, 2x10 combo
    back in the 80's. I emailed `em and Mr. Weber himself
    answered..."we still remember how (to make them). You want
    one?" thanks Mr. W. I ain't got ~$2200
    floatin' around right now :p.

The Rivera Sedona is an all tube "acoustic" amp in the same
    vein as the SWR Blonde series. It's available as a 55 or 100
    watt combo with 1-12" or 1-15". If the specs are correct ;),
    it goes from 30Hz to 20Khz :eek: Hmmm.
  10. I've got bunches of them. They used to be the only game in town.

Here's the two I practice and record with right now. Sweet sound, only 20-30Watts each. They would never carry a big jam, but for noodling around without drums, they're perfect.

More Pics of the Kalamazoo and Kay combos.

And the ultimate custom killer combo:
    50Watts, (2) Altec Lansing 421A 15's in a sealed cab. Too heavy to move without a dolly.

11. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    on a side note, 421A's sound freaking good. i would love to hear your amp, throbbinnut
  12. You ain't kiddin'. I love their sound. It's got like this natural compression kind of sound, and really thick sounding with an edge. They are so efficient, 50 Watts will blow you away.