Tube Amp Concerns - help - too good to be tru??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanBass, Jan 27, 2003.

1. DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Bucks County, PA
    After a few years of inactivity, I am playing again. Getting the bass was easy IHMO. The hardest part has been tracking down a suitable rig to play through. I was in a local chain store the other day on whim. Usually like the mom and pop stores better - always find the hidden gems there in my opinion, but was in the area, so figured why not... . I was looking though the bass area and I see a Mesa Boogie 400+ bass head. It isn't priced, so I ask. I am told $450. Now, I have done some research, and even saw a new one in their store, and they are going for a heck of a lot more than $450. I am just leery. Is there something I should be concerned with? Hours used? It seems to me that old adage has to come into play - if it is too good to be true... The new model they had was over 1,300. The used one only $450?? Seems strange to me. Are there things I should be looking for in regards to a tube amp? I always used solid state, but this seemed like a golden opportunity. However..... Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Are you sure it was the 400+ head and not the 400 head?
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sounds WAY too good to be true. But miracles do happen...sometimes.
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Wow, in Europe you have to pay around 2.700€/$ for a new one...

Back to your question:
    Maybe the amp needs new tubes?

5. Ask them if it works. Even second hand you're still covered by some kind of buyer prtoection (we have the sale of goods act in the UK). If they say it works, even second hand they're obliged to sell it to you fully working, if they've advertised it as such.

Maybe the price reflects the fact that people are often quite scared about buying second hand valve gear - although it's easier to fix than solid state, it can be very costly rectifiying tube or output transformer problems.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Man, I'd jump on that if I were you. Usually the only problem you'll have with these is replacing the tubes, which is standard maintenence anyway. If you don't get it, drop me a line. I'll take it.
  7. DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks for all the advice and insight, I appreciate it. I am sure it is the 400+ - but even the 400 was still more from what I was seeing. I will take a closer look at it this week! I'll plug in and see what it sounds like.