Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Amp Dilema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by permadave, Feb 2, 2006.

1. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello All,
    I am currently in the grip of GAS and am wanting to trade my SVT 4 pro for an all tuber. I am thinking Mesa 400+ or SVT-CL. I've played both and am leaning towards the 400+ but its so hard for me to decide without using both in a "real world" situation like a gig or practice. I guess the other factor is that I'm considering waiting for the SVT-VR. Any thoughts on SVT vs Mesa? Any other similiar models I should consider?

Thanks!

2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    Aguilar db 728!

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I guess the real question is what speakers do you plan on using. If you are using either one of these amps, an efficient cab would be recommended. I personally would recommend the 400+ unless you know you want the Ampeg sound. The mesa has more tonal possibilities. The ampeg does what the ampeg is known for and does a good job of that

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i just had to make the same decision,
    and went with the boogie. i've used both previously live and in rehearsals, have been using an svt classic and i also prefer the fexibility of the boogie.
    dual channel, fx loop, freq pull/shift, switchable eq, fan switch(lo/hi/off)
    also, both amps are about equal volume-wise, but where the svt
    starts to overdrive, the boogie can get loud cleaner(if desired).
    i also like the fact that you can rack-mount the mesa.

5. If you're seriously considering going all-tube, try out the Orange AD200B - you won't be disappointed!

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    good point, the orange is a nice amp...great sound.
    very inflexible, tho, like the ampeg.
    only 200 watts, too.
    there is a used one at action music in arlington,va.
    if you're interested...
    other tube amps in production would be the sadowsky and eden makes one too...

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    If you want to stick with the SVT all tube, wait for the VR. But if you like the hybrid, look at the SVT 8 pro... 2500 watts @ 2 ohms is a lot of muscle.

But before you spend a ton of money, get ahold of a sansamp bddi pedal & run your bass>bdddi>4 pro input. much to my surprise, that little trick can make one of my least favorite ampeg heads (the 4 pro) sound huge IMO.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd either go for the Boogie or wait for the SVT-VR.

Tom.

9. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks guys! I am definately thinking the 400+. The Aguilar DB 728 looks pretty sweet but out of my price range. Now I just have to find a good Mesa somewhere..

Any further suggestions will definately be considered and appreciated:)

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    What do you not like about your 4Pro, that makes you wanna go all tube?

11. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Good suggestion, I will definately try that and see how it sounds too. My teacher just got a Tone Bone to replace his so maybe I can borrow the SansAmp to try...
    At least for now, I will most likely be using my Mesa 2x15 live and at rehearsal and my Avatar B212 Delta at home. Both are 4 ohm cabs. Not sure of the model name for the Mesa cab, as its pretty old. Its cream colored and loaded with EV's, it that helps at all.

12. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I am thinking of a more ballsy rounder tone that I've been able to figure out how to get from the SVT-4. My bands' style is a blend of Indy and classic rock and I'm thinking a tube amp would be better for that purpose. Also, most of the tube amps have less settings to tweak and less ways for me, not being a huge gearhead, to screw things up. The flipside of course is less flexibility.

I ended up getting the 4-pro because someone made me an offer i couldn't refuse and I do think it's a good amp. I'm looking for something more optimal for classic rock though. I am also going to try the SansAmp as suggested and play with the EQ and settings on the 4-pro. I'd be interested to see someone's 4-pro settings who plays classic rock (or anything else for that matter).

Maybe I'll keep it and get a tube amp as well...tax refund time is just around the corner...

13. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Other great tube amps in a similar price range (more or less) would include any of the older Trace Elliot tube heads (V4/V6/V8, Valve series, VA series) and the Eden VT-300A. The V8 is certainly the Holy Grail of this group, but there are not many of them out there, and if you do find one for sale, it won't be cheap. But you can probably pick up any of the rest of them for reasonably close (<150%) to the price of a Bass 400+.

Then, of course, there is the Sadowsky SA200, which is pretty much top of the heap in my book (perhaps sharing that spot with the V8), but Roger isn't exactly giving them away, either. ;)

Tom.

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I, for myself, am very curious about the Ampeg SVT-VR and hope that I will be able to try one here !!!

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I had an SVT-4 pro for about two weeks...(thanks to GC's 30 day return policy :) ). In the real world, I wouldn't hesitate to consider a 200W tube amp as viable alternative, which lets you consider the orange, traynor & others...of course the Mesa is a fine amp if you want to go that way.

I really want to check out the VR too, though.

17. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Ok, so why did you return the 4 Pro?

And one more thing, what's the retail price for the Trace Elliot V8?

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The V8's aren't made any more and are extremely rare. So if someone did quote you an old Retail Price, bear in mind it would be what they sold for 5-6 years ago (probably very high then).

I'm also curious what a V8 might go for if one did turn up in the used market. I'm guessing it'd be quite high.

19. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I took it back because my '76 SVT literally kicked its ass. I thought it would cool to get lighter, more modern amp...but after gigging with it a few times, it felt wimpy on the low end and like I was playing through a limiter.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Of the 2 choices, I'd take the 400+ any day. I think you should wait until the VR comes out in stores if you can though. I am anxious to try it out.