Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube amp guru, do you have an answer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 6, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have this amp:

[​IMG]

it's an old Eko amp, rated at 30W. made in italy. with tubes.
    i am not a tech all i can say is that is the best amp i have ever owned and tried (i have treid a lot of amps and owned Ashdown, TraceElliot, SWR SM 400S, Ampeg SVT3 pro...now all sold).

this amp is for me a mystery. i use the head only, a previous owner armed with a saw took apart the head from the cab and i own the head only. i use this head with a Ampeg SVT 410 He cab, nothing esoteric.

how is it possible that this amp is by far better sounding that everyone else produced nowadays?

how is it possible that it has old tubes, no bypass circuit, no cooling fan and i have never had a problem in more than 10 years while my Ashdown and my ampeg had big issues in a shorter period of using?

how is it possible that this amp rated at 30 W is MUCH MORE LOUDER than every head i have tried out there? i can assure you that this heas is twice (if not more)louder than the others i have named above...

is this watt thing only a marketing strategy?

are the companies mocking us?

i want the truth!

2. Tubes sound better (to me), and they can sound louder than solid state amps of equal wattage due to their natural compression and added distortion. Do a search for tons of more detail on that issue. A Watt is a Watt, but depending on the frequency content and how the amp passes the signal, some amps may sound louder and/or better than others.

And if you get a good one, tube or solid state, the darn things will last practically forever. Sounds like you lucked into a good one. And now you know why some folks like me are tube zealots. They're just more fun to play through. They make me sound better than I really am. :D

Chris

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    If it's an Eko, it's in fact virtually a VOX AC30 (Eko made loads of stuff for Vox in the 60's 70's)
    Enough said!