1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp mod question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacknWhite, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:50 PM.

1. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

Just wondering if it is possible to have a amp modded to have a transformer balanced line out installed? I have a Traynor YBA200-2 which only has a pre or post EQ line out. Is this something that a amp builder or tech can do? Would love some feedback from some of the pros here. I attached the service manual with the amp schematics.

@agedhorse @BassmanPaul

Attached Files:

2. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    Anything is possible. Just need the dough. Isn't that what the Ampeg pf50/20t's do?
    Maybe switch, or mic the cab?

Iristone likes this.
  3. BlacknWhite

Yeah the PF20 and 50Ts have the option to do either pre amp or transformer out. Thats where I got the idea from actually. I have no problem micing the cab but in some situations it would be easier to just go DI and it would be nice to have the option.

4. grouse789

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    For the amount of money that would cost, mehhh.
    But if money no object? A cool project for sure

5. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    The are several DIs on the market that can do exactly that. As in handle a speaker level input. That would be the most cost effective, fastest, and simple way to do it.

- John

6. grouse789

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    learn sumptin' new every day!
    Got any brand recommendations??

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, it's not only possible but it's actually done (more in the guitar world, but it's also done in the bass world). The easiest way is with a passive DI that has a speaker level input, Note that you still must provide a load to a tube amp.

8. BlacknWhite

Thanks guys. I totally forgot about DI box's with speaker level input.... I remember reading up on them a couple years back and it slipped my mind completely haha. That makes things much easier

9. Countryman allows speaker level.

The Radial JDX is specifically made to sit between the amp and the cab. Sounds great to boot.

SirMjac28 and Clutchcargo like this.
  10. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    The Klark DN100 will take speaker level also.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get a Whirlwind Director. The amp takes over the DI line anyway, and the Director also doubles as a good passive DI with a decent little output transformer in a pinch. Cheap and built like a rock, too. I have a Countryman, but if I had it to do over again, I'd totally get the Director. I'd already have one but I don't really need it. DI's I got out the wazoo.

12. The YBA200 is a great piece of gear. If I owned one I'd much rather mod it with a DI out or have it done, than switch to a PF-50 which is just about the same price new.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  13. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Not a hard mod at all as you'd just be running a line trans /xlr /ground switch off whatever output source ya choose. Depending on the transformer you use probably looking at 2-300 to have a confidant tech do the work.
    Down sides would be obviously the cost over buying a cheaper di but also you're drilling holes in vintage gear fwiw.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Time for the TB classifieds? :thumbsup:

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nah, don't care enough.

40Hz likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

:laugh: Understandable. I have a pile of stuff I should get rid of too. Yep. “Real soon now.”

JimmyM likes this.
  17. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    Sonically, IMO, not a great difference between the two, it’s not gonna be night and day. Why bother?

18. BlacknWhite

I really just want it for live gigs when I going DI and don't have the option to mic the cab. If I'm using a full tube amp why not get the full tube sound?

Hand slap likes this.
  19. BlacknWhite

Looks like I can get a good deal on one of those Jimmy. Just run the speaker out to the input and the output to the cab on amp mode? This is the model
    Screenshot_20191109-165857_eBay.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That is it.