Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube amp options under $1000(used)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embellisher, Apr 8, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am thinking of getting into tubes.

I am looking for something that is capable of some grit, but is also pretty 'fast' and capable of hifi tones.

I obviously can't afford Aguilar.

I would like to keep the weight under 70 lbs, if possible.

So, how much is a used Mesa 400+, and is it capable of the tones I am asking about?

What about the Traynor? Is 200 watts loud enough? How does it sound?

And what else am I overlooking?

I've never really been interested in an all tube amp before, but I am beginning to think that if I can get grit and hifi out of the same amp, for a reasonable price, that I would be most happy.:D

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sunn/Fender 300T got under that weight and money wise
    Vintage/Classic SVT ?
    SVT- Pro2 (even rackable) ?

Mine usually go for $500 to $700 but bust that weight limit without trying :bassist:

don't click here

3. embellisher

Yeah, I've been watching that Peavey on Ebay. If it were 30 lbs lighter, and I had the $$$ before the auction ends, I would be sorely tempted.

I would have to sell my iAMP to fund this. I am sure it would take a few days to sell.

Anybody know how much a 400+ weighs? I can't find it anywhere on the net.

James, I also thought about the SVT II Pro. It fits the weight spec, but isn't as powerful as the 400+ or the Peavey.

4. Hey dudes I have 800 dollars canadian in my hand, should I snizzatch up that peavey? I'de have to get it shipped to PEI though...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    the 400+ is rated @ 500 watts PEAK. it's got 12x 6L6 that are putting out 20-25 watts each... so it's like 250-275ish watts

the SVT & Peavey have 6550 / KT88 and the 6 in an SVT make ~300, the 8 in the Peavey ~400

6. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i don't know exactly what the 400+ weighs, but it is without a doubt less than 70lbs. i'm in the military overseas and can't get anything over 70 pounds sent over- the mesa in a HEAVY wooden 4 space rack and packaging was under that weight; so i had it shipped over..... i would guess somewhere around 50 to 55 pounds would be pretty close....

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I would if I didn't already own one. Great amp and built like a brick s#it house.

Anyone got a link to this particular listing?

TD

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Is that a good price for a Classic 400? It seems like and okay, but not stellar, deal.

10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hi Jeff, my 400+ weighs in right about 55-57 pounds on a heavy day. I added JJ tubes to mine and I believe her capable of being reasonably hi-fi for a tube amp. Some different tubes may help you with that though, these don't have massive bottom nor do they have screaming midrange just a nice balance across the spectrum, very open sounding is how I describe them. I've had JJ's in two amps and I like their sound... it just seems to make everything it's in smoother and more balanced with tight lows that never get boomy, smooth mids that don't get honky and nice highs that are never sharp. They're great amps and routinely go for between 600-900 depending on the quality of the tubes inside. A retube will cost you around 250, that's what my JJ's cost me for 14 6L6GC's and 5 12AX7's, and other types could be more or less I suppose, but I'd never use Chinese tubes again. Hope this helps!

Nick

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    mine was $350 with case and no tubes. I spent $240 on tubes and another $80 on the bench fees.

12. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I paid $650 for mine.... (loaded with original Chi-com tubes relabelled Peavey)....

I'd give an opinion, but I've only had it for two days, so I'm still in "New Girlfriend Mode" and I'm not sure how valid my opinion would be :D .... The one thing I will say is; It's very solidly build, and VERY heavy.

SM

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I paid $600 for an old ampeg v4b. I wouldnt say its capable of fast "hi-fi" type tones but I bought it without ever having played one and I was suprised at how clean it could be. Of course it can be very nasty too but I love that just as much! :D Its also very loud IMO. Im coming from using pretty much mostly hi-fi style gear but Im not interested in that as much now. Ill be using the ampeg as much as I can in the future.

14. CaptainHueso, why not the 400+, do you like the 400 better?

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Another vote for the Sunn 300T (or whatever the hell it's called since Fender changed the name on their Sunn line). It has footswitchable gain, but can also sound very clean and pristine.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How about keeping your iAmp and getting an OD pedal of some sort?

17. embellisher

18. embellisher

I have a couple of OD pedals, and they help, but I am starting to crave the sound of tube power, not just a tube in the pre, or an OD pedal.

What I would like is something that gets close to my iAMP clean, but can also sound very gritty, when I dig in.