1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uly_, Dec 20, 2006.

1. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hello owners of all-tube amps.

I just want to know what kind og tone you prefer for rock. Totally clean or do you dial in a bit of tube-overdrive? By tube-overdrive I don't mean total-ear-ripping-fuzzy-overdrive, but just a hint that the tubes are starting to have a hard time ;)

I have two channels on my amp, one for clean tone and one for tube-preamp overdrive tone. And honestly, I can't decide what I like the best, they both have a good deal of the warmth I like.

So what do you prefer? :)

Thanks in advance!

/ Bo

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    While I like the sound of tubes working hard, as a general rule once you hit that point you've got zero headroom - it's kind of like playing through a wooly compressor. So prefer to to play my amp clean and use a front end distortion or OD when I want that sound.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    With my SVT 2 PRO, I want that tube growl all the time. The tube growl adds a menacing punch with finger style playing. When I play with my fingers, I get a sound that stands out in the mix and you always can hear it.

What sound is the best? It's all subjective; use the sound that fits with what you are playing.

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    @nysbob: I see what you're saying about the headroom, that's also my "problem", the lows becomes sort of "blurry"

@Gearhead17: I see that you have a DS-1 in the loop of a radial mixer to blend effect with clean signal. How does that work out for you? I mean, your "main tone" is slightly overdriven and then you add even more dirt with the DS-2, dosn't that get muddy? Or am I missing something out here?

Asking cause I am currently waiting for my VFB-2 in the mail :)

Thanks!

5. You can change the tone of all tube amp by fitting different brands/models of valves/Tubes, visit this site for more info
    http ://www.watfordvalves.com

6. I usually turn up my 400+ until it gets nice tube compression and OD, but I run an FX unit in front for the more intense fuzzy and distortion sounds that I need. Sounds great when combined!

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I run my SVT-CL with just a bit of grind as a basic sound. I also use an EHX English Muff'n for a heavy, gritty overdrive and an EHX Little Big Muff for thick fuzz. 90% of the time I'm playing with just my basic sound.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    For a distorted tone, I do this:

Bass-> BIG MIX-> (on it's own effect loop)->DOD 250 Preamp overdrive->DS-1-> Big Shot, then I fiddle with the blend dial and set it so the distorted tone is present and my bass tone can be heard within it. From the Big Shot, I go right into my 2PRO. This has worked great for me. The Big Shot has buffered inputs and will NOT degrade my signal at all. I have tested this heavily.

The DOD 250 gives me a crunchy distorted tone that retains my bass's original tone. Taking that overdriven tone and going into the DS-1 allows the DS-1 distortion to be edgier and much more refined. Simply put, I get a fully saturated/distorted tone that is crunchy and distorted at the same time. I don't get a buzzy/mushy mess of distortion. It's fully distorted, but the sound goes right with your bass playing - no complete fuzz-out where you can't hear any notes. I hear every note, even playing fast. I would describe the sound I get as Pantera's "Goddam Electric" Bass tone. Not exactly the same tone, but very similar.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like my amps cranked. To hell with headroom. :spit:

10. I use the Fender Bassman 300PRO It has 2 channels-1.clean,2-Overdrive w/ gain ,vol. & a blend pot to mix the two chasnnels. I usually have the gain on about 5 -gives a nice bit of growl- the 2 chans. vol's about the same & blend chan 1 & 2 about even. Then more chan.2(OD) if needed or more ch.1 if more clean needed. BEAUTIFUL!!!!:hyper:

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Yes.

Sometimes I like totally clean; I don't like any distortion on a 5 string.

Generally on a 4 string I like a bit of breakup, I like to have the amp set so that if I play carefully I get just a bit but if I attack the strings I get more.

Sometimes I like way too much, full-on Live at Leeds levels.

Strangely, with my recent purchase of an Acoustic 320 I find that my tube amp is better for clean, and my solid state is better for firebreathing, ripping distortion.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Normally I prefer my tone to be clean unless a song needs that grit to be right.

13. ABH_bassist

ABH_bassist

Feb 24, 2005
    jax beach fl.
    i crank the master on the cl all the way and just use the gain as my volume.
    sounds just how i like it

14. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    i turn it to 11

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I like my amp to be very clean. I use the same amp sound for everything, all styles. All that changes is my playing and the occasional stomp box.