Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joelc73, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Some one emailed me this question and I have no idea what the answer is.... Does anyone know for sure?

"I have a SVT II rack mounted and I want to stand the rack on it's side (vertically rather than horizontally) next to my 2 TRI210 cabs. Will that hurt my tube amp?"

If someone knows, please let me know and I'll pass it on.

Thanks!
    JC

2. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Tubes used to be in everything, including things like fighter jets...

I'm sure that no harm will come to the amp... other than a tube falling out if it's not tight. :)

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Seeing as Fender amps even hang the dang things upside down, I don't think it would hurt anything. Why does Fender do this?? Don't they come loose every so often?

4. No, it won't hurt the amp, but everything you play will be 90 degrees out of phase. :D

5. That can be solved: I'll be glad to sell you, for only a gazillion dollars, my special cables with a right-angle plug that will turn the signal 90 degrees back into phase. :D :D

6. Nope. The tube sockets have locking clips that keep the tubes secure. Peavey could take a lesson from Fender on this though. Their system of securing the tubes on their Classic series amps isn't as good as Fender's and the tubes do work loose.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Thanks guys. That's what I thought but the last thing I want to do is pass on my "best guess" and be wrong!

JC

8. I can imagine that some amp cooling solutions work better in normal position:cooling ribs usually are vertical and this has a reason... also some amps have a 'smokestack' (dont really know the english word; schoorsteen in dutch) convection cooling system wich would definately work best in normal position.

9. Correct.

If the amp's cooling system is passive (no fan) then the cooling ribs are kept vertical. Since warm air rises, the air moving up the fins helps to break up the boundary layer of still air next to the aluminum, and this aids in heat rejection. This is similar to the "smokestack effect" you mentioned. Turn the ribs horizontal and it would impede the air flow upwards.

If the amp has a fan though, the fan is far superior to the natural air movement, so the heatsink can be located in any orientation.

10. Fins? Heatsinks? We're talking a tube amp here. I've Never seen fins and heatsinks on a tube amp personally.

11. Yep, you're correct, tube amp, so no fins or heat sink. Orientation not an issue here....I was just speaking in general in response to link wray's post, which is obviously geared to solid-state amps with cooling fin heatsinks. I've only had one cup of coffee this morning. :D