tube amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matrok, Jan 26, 2005.

1. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Last week I played a gig with backline provided. I got an SVT that made my Rumblefish 5 really rumble. Now I'm thinking about getting a tube head. Not looking for an SVT, don't play enough gigs that can handle that beast(neither can my back), but something more compact. What's out there, vintage or modern?
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Old Sunn heads, Fender Bassmans, Ampeg V4Bs, etc.
  3. bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    well, i would recomend to you a vintage ampeg v-4, but it weighs about just as must as the svt...
    as far as compact tube amps go there arn't to many out there, especially made for bass, but i know that ampeg makes a b-25 that might be a little lighter, but keep in mind that more watts equals more weight, fast.
    I know traynor makes some tube amp don't know how heavy or the size, mesa also makes the bass buster heads that are all tube, don't no the specs either. i asume that there lighter than the 400 watt mesa400+ happy searching :hyper:
  4. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Anyone familiar with the MosValve stuff?
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    mosvalve sounds suspiciously like mosfets that are supposed to sound like tubes.
  6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Check out the Traynor YBA-200. It's all tube and lighter than an SVT. There are a few threads about this head and some even go into detail about tube modifications. Oh ya,they're less expensive than an SVT and have a decent warranty too. Happy searching.