1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp repair question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have an old mid-80s peavey rockmaster tube amp. It turns on, can go into standby (both led's on the front will be lit), has a working fuse (I would think..), but the tubes won't light up anymore. It also makes the normal 'on' low-drone sound. Power supply? I'm not an amp tech, but it'd be nice to fix this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

2. /subscribes/

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    If you have no filaments in any tube, then that is the filament power supply, a loose wire, or possibly a second fuse. Unless the amp is unusual, this power supply typically consists of a winding on the main power transformer, and thats it . . . . and since power transformers are passive, and rarely fail, I would suspect a secondary fuse or a loose wire . . . . . . pretty trivial in either case, should be cheap to fix.

- Tim

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Do you mean the rack-mount guitar preamp rockmaster or the head?

If you have the head, and none of the filaments light, this means you have blown an internal fuse that protects the filament supply. This was probably caused by an arc in one of your 6L6 power tubes. This is worse case...the other possibility is that there is a loose wire connector or broken solder joint in the amp. I'd take it to a tech or send it to Peavey repair and get the whole thing tuned up.

5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Had a similar problem on my Sunn--everything lit but the power tubes. A connector between the power transformer and the tube heater circut had fried. $20 fix.

Scott