1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qunndo, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hi everyone, i'm currently playing a ampeg svt pro 4 through a bergantino nv 610. I like the svt pro 4, but would dearly love to go to a tube amp for reasons i cannot explain.

I am selecting a tube amp, and i've decided either at this stage, a fender 300 pro or trace elliot v6. They are around 2800 and 3000 respectively. Looking for opinions on both in regards to a coupling with the berg.

The orange, mesa and sadowsky are all around 4000 and out of my price range.

Which do you recommend.

Thankyou

Oh and i will of course have to sell the ampeg which retail for around 4000, would an asking price of 2000 be fair in your opinion?

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    also try and see if you could find an Aguilar DB359, i got one here on the TB classifieds for $1250. I think there is one on it right now for $1350, and you might be able to talk them down.

If not that, i dig the trace v6 and fender 300 pro too.

3. Thanks, i live over in australia though and hold reservations about air freighting a tube amp and then getting the power converted. The fender is a lot more accessible and easy to find than the trace elliot.. who have seemed to drop off the map here in australia.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    ah, didn't know you were in Australia. The Fender would be perfect then. A couple people here have them and i think if you do a search there might be a review or two. Trace hasn't made the v6 for a long time. You'd have to get one used.

Good luck.

5. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
  6. hi, i'm in tas. & bought a Fender Bassman 300pro a while back SOUNDS FANTASTIC !!!:hyper: Some reliability issues I've heard- but U get a 5yr warranty & they really are super soundidg & solid heads. I was either get the Marshall VBA400(400w -8x6550 valves!!!!!!!:help: ) lighter than the Fender & SVT-CL/VR too. I probly would've got it too but the Fender can do8/4/2 ohms which gives me great versatility re cabs I can use. The traynor mentioned above is 200w & s'posed to be good to tho I dunno where U could try one in OZ. Where abouts in Aus are U?
    I think what made me go back to all tube was the fact that even with a 100w tube amp U can feel it without it having to be ear splittingly loud-opposite for s.s. amps IMHO. Last nite we were doin gig & we had 2 turn down for thr FOH sound, & tho the bass was NOT loud it was SO SOLID & punchy- something I sorely lacked with ALL the SS & hybrid amps I tried-& I tried many. BUT just my opinion!!:bag:
    PM me if U want futher info Good luck
    Rod.

7. ahh I see ghind.... gave U a link for yorkville/traynor-try 'em U might like em!

8. theres a Marshal VBA on ebay oz @ the mo
    I dunno how to link it but its in amps, bass item No, is:
    130041033994, Looks like a good un. I'd grab it meself if I had the $$$$ asking $1695 I think. good luck, Rod.

9. Thanks Rod, what are you running with your Fender?

I saw that vba on ebay as well, believe it or not i've seen half a dozen of those in the last few months.

I do want to purchase new however, i guess if i am putting the initial investment out on either a fender or marshall i will just purchase new, and damn the fenders look great as well :)

How much did you pay for your bassman rod? I'm on the Goldcoast and i have around 4 or 5 options that sell the bassman or could get it in close range, and will be a little tempted to play them off each other (my music store doesnt stock them). Also interested in what tubes they come stock with?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll put a plug in for that V6. :cool:

11. Yeah.. i think i am going to have to keep an eye out over here for a v8 or v6. I might be waiting a while but the band is on a bit of a break so once i sell the pro 4 i'll start looking ultra seriously. Differences between the v8 and v6 ?

12. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    the V8 has an extra gain stage that can be footswitched and also a built in compressor, which apparently is the bomb.
    I'm really happy with my V6, i like that it's so simple and sounds phenomenal. i dislike that it's huge and really heavy, but that's just how it is with valve amps.
    the V8 is just an upgraded version of the V6 and has 50 watts more. then there is also the issue of pre and post gibson trace elliot.

to be honest with you, i don't think you can go wrong with any valve amp you buy, just look at this board where people just rave about their ampeg, mesa, traynor, marshall, fender/sunn, peavey or trace elliot. i suppose they are all different, but none of them are bad. find out what you want

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Trace Elliot V8 is one of the most incredible tube amps ever built, IMHO. If you need ridiculous volume, killer clean tube tone, and the option for an overdrive channel, man, it can't be beat. The only amp that can beat it, tone-wise, is the Sadowsky SA200 (IME/IMHO, of course), but even here, the V8 is right up there with the beautiful SA200.

The only problem is finding a V8. There were not very many built.

Tom.

14. + a gazillion!!!! Seems every second post of mine is telling people to buy Traynor/Yorkie gear but I love it! :smug:

15. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    It's not on your list of options but you might like to know that the svt-cl has a universal transformer in it. So if you import one from the US it's just a matter of changing the fuses and repatching a couple of connections inside and you're good to go. I don't know for sure but it's likely the new svt-vr would be the same.