1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Amp Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 62Start, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ampeg SVT VR used - $1,200?
    New Peavy $879?
    Eden 300 $729?

Probably with do a Ampeg 4x10 half stack.

Will use with a half stack only for home play (small club volume levels).

Play a new Fender American Deluxe Ash Jazz Bass.

Have a 100 watt tube amp and half stack of 12s for guitar.

Have experience with Ampeg since 1964. Only owned one Peavy 2x12 solid state guitar amp in 1980s (pretty good). No Eden experience.

Your thoughts?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Personally, I love the sound of an Ampeg all-tube SVT. I spent a bit of time being very happy with a SVT-CL and 410HLF rig. However, it's a beast to move for this old guy and I have recently made a switch to a smaller, slightly lighter setup (Aguilar DB750+DB210 - it's way loud!) for the small to mid-sized gigs we're playing. If I never had to move the thing, I'm sure I would have stayed with the SVT.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know Eden gear, but that head does get good reviewa. Of the 3, the VR would get my vote, but I'm an Ampeg fan.

4. If you have had Ampeg experience since 1964, that VR may not be what you remember from the old days.:ninja:

5. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    A 6X10 cab is actually a better match for the SVT and it's easier for one person to handle
    since the taller cab allows you to use leverage to pivot the cab in and out of your vehicle, where you're pretty much stuck lifting all the dead weight of a 4X10.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    sorry B-string, but you're wrong on that statement.

7. Not to my ears I haven't been! To each his own yes, but wrong? How could you know what I have experienced? I can hear a 12AX7 sub'ed for the 12DW7. Some can be more critical of an amp performance.
    So let me qualify with IME,IMO. Now we can be happy? :bassist:

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    its too bad you couldn't take a listen to all my ampegs, old and new, side by side, in the same environment.
    P.S. i find no desire to justify my opinions by going into my background, experience or credentials.

peace

9. As do I, so take a deep breath. We disagree. We don't need to meet in the lockeroom. Life's to short and think we are both to old to waste that kind of time and effort? ;)
    Maybe in another 20 or so years we can be grumpy old men?

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses

who knows? i might be already. ;)

11. You don't sound 70+ ;) I edited the orig. post, so maybe not so imflamitory sounding? :)

12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I too like the VR best in this line up and with a 410 half stack it will sound great. But before you pull the trigger - try to check out an Aguilar DB750 with whatever cab and bass you'll be using. I did, and ended up going with the DB750. Nope it's not exactly the SVT sound but it is every bit as sweet (maybe even a little more bottom end than the VR) and flexible and a lot more portable. The tube preamp in the DB750 does give you all that full rich tubey sound and the power section of the amp is to die for. Every bit as loud as any VR I've played. Price wise the VR and the DB750 are both about the same used. And like the VR it's built like a tank and will last you your entire gigging career and then some.
    As for the other two amps - for some reason Peavey doesn't get much love around here, not sure why, never played thru one, maybe its a guitar vs bass thing. And the Eden has some fairly mixed reviews as well. Did try one once but still liked the VR and DB750 much better.

13. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    i don't know about grumpy old men, you are both probably only 13. lol! admit it!

suffice it to say, the old and new svt probably sound different, and if anyone is making a subjective statement (which everyone by default must be doing) then they are automatically correct. because that is what they think, and cannot possible be wrong about indicating what they think. Regardless about what anyone else may think about it.

in 20 years, you will probably be able to see each other on your video monitors, and be able to have a private chat and show each other your rigs and sound samples. as it is, we are stuck in 2009 and can barely keep up with all our e-mails and posts, let alone upload pics and sound samples and video to actually input meaningful data into conversations about sound. blogging on a music site that has no music kind of sucks.... talkbass is great, but this has to be just the start. so you are both victims of early technology lag, and would probably not be arguing if you could just show each other facts to back it up, would probably agree to disagree, and kiss and make up (now I'm glad there is no video for that)

oops. you probably aren't interested in that spew of info, so just ignore it.

the real point is: get the svt. worth the money!

cheers,

meta

14. Not the visual I wanted before trying to sleep. But thanks for that. I think we are ok? None of those amps are on the top of my list but I am not the one looking? Let your ears guide you, they know best what each person is looking for.

15. Hi.

I'd say that the order You list the amps about sums it up. For me anyway.

I bought the Fame (almost the same as the Eden) just for the low price, and for the fact that I couldn't had bought the parts for an amp like that for that kind of money. I was going to make a 300-600W tube amp, but now I don't have/need to.

Dont know about the Peavey, but I'd guess that the Ampeg holds its value best, gives the most constant performance, and if You ever play out, the sound engineers know what to expect.

My Fame needed quite a bit tweaking, tube swapping etc. to be to my liking and I'd make a wild guess that the Eden will be the same for the majority of the users.

This may just be me, but using tube amps is NOT about them being tube amps, but THE SOUND. If the tube amp don't deliver the sound, it might just as well be a SS.

Regards
    Sam

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I own a 69, and I've played probably over 100 different SVT's over the years, and I've played a VR or two, and I thought the tones were definitely close enough to be recognizable as an SVT as I know it. John's VR has way better tubes in it than what Ampeg supplies, and he's got two vintage SVT's to compare it with. So it's hard to argue with him if he says they sound alike. One thing that's different is the EQ points are a little different than the old ones, but that is a pretty subtle change, one that doesn't change the overall character of the amp.

17. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    i have the Peavey and i love it.