1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Amp Shipping Damage...need some advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by korngold, Apr 23, 2010.

1. korngold

korngold

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa
    Hi Fellow TBers,

I just received a used, heavy tube amp. It was packed/shipped by a Guitar Center, but when the package arrived I could tell when I saw the box on my doorstep that the outlook was not going to be good.

I already called UPS & filed a claim. They are going to contact me on Monday to arrange an inspection. I requested that they not take the amp away (otherwise, it gets shipped back to the store along with any settlement).

The tubes were not pulled (even though I requested it), and with the amp sitting vertically in the box, it basically made the whole ride upright on the back switches & jacks. The back corner is bent pretty badly, and the whole back panel seems a little bent. There are some metal pieces loose inside, even though no tubes busted.

I know one of the guys at the local GuitarCenter here, and they can test it out & let me know if its still functional. Or, I can plug it in & roll the dice (with my cabs & gear).

Or, I could wait for UPS and see what they say. Or, I could just return it at the GC here and eat the shipping cost. My guy here did say that they'd just return it, though. So, ALL I'd eat is the shipping cost.

Were this not such a rare amp, I'd definitely return it. What should I do here?

2. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    If it were me, I wouldn't trust that amp at a gig. Find out how much the people at GC insured it for. I would think it would be enough to reimburse you the purchase price. Let the insurance cover it and look for another amp.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Have a good amp tech check it out and give you an estimate for the damages and try to get UPS to pay that. It's either that or return it for a refund, eat the shipping and find another amp.

4. - take photos of the packaging! The damaged box is evidence in an insurance claim.
    - Take it to a tech to assess. His bill will be covered by the UPS insurance people.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What kind of amp was it? Just curious because you said it was kinda rare.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Remember that the shipper (GC) is the one who has the "contract" with UPS, because they paid UPS to ship to you. You have no official status in the transaction except that you should take photos and NOT touch the item till the UPS people examine it.

Assuming it was insured, UPS will pay GC, who should refund your money. It's up to GC and UPS to decide what happens with the damaged item, NOT YOU.

And it is GC who has to push UPS to follow through with the claim. GC has your money, and they may not be motivated to spend much time talking with UPS.

7. exactly.....when ups broke my stuff they wouldn't even talk to me.....the seller jumped through all the hoops,and it was resolved favorably......hopefully gc will work as hard for you

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Return it. You did not pay GC for a broken rare amp, but a nice, working one with no damage.
    I would insist on them refunding the shipping cost, too.

9. korngold

korngold

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa
    I should have mentioned that I tried to go that route, but the mgr. at GC washed his hands of it and basically told me to file the claim or return the item and eat the shipping. Since I don't want to eat the shipping fees, I have set the amp aside and I'm waiting for UPS to contact me (I filed the claim). I know it's not standard protocol, but since the GC mgr. was a jerk and basically couldn't fathom that their packing guys don't know what they're doing (which is what this actually boils down to), I'll jump through the hoops.

Once UPS comes and examines the item, they'll tell me that they aren't paying for anything because it wasn't appropriately or adequately packed. It was a flimsy box with a thin sidewall, and the amp was sitting on about 1 piece of crumpled paper with 1 or 2 more pieces of crumpled paper and a few of those big air bubble paks. It looked like it was packed by a teenager without a clue.

After the UPS examination, I'll call GC back...maybe once UPS tells them that their packing job sucked, they'll actually be willing to work with me. It was a rare amp, so I don't want to return it just yet.

I videotaped myself opening the beat up box and took pictures of the damage the day I received it. Maybe it's not worth all this trouble. It's too bad the GC mgr. didn't just file the claim like he was supposed to, or take some responsibility for this situation.
    :(

10. korngold

korngold

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa

It was (is?) a Trace Elliot Quatra Valve. I still haven't plugged it in because there's something metal rattling around inside that I can't seem to get out. I'm waiting to see what UPS says before I try it out. I'm hoping they let me send it to a Trace service center for repair, which is my preferred plan of attack.
    :bassist:

11. When you pay shipping - you pay insurance too. It's not a donation to a charity organisation. You pay it for a reason and are well within your rights to get what you paid for - i.e. protection if something goes wrong. If the GC guy is being a jerk then get nasty. He has responsibilities and obligations.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You need to go over the GC manager's head.

13. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I would have thought that since the amp now belonged to korngold that UPS would send him the check. From the UPS website:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/damage_process.html

Claim Paid
    Once the claim has been approved and UPS receives the supporting documentation identified in the claim letter, payment will be processed. The claim payment may differ from the original amount requested depending on the documentation provided. Explanation of the difference in payment amount, if any, will be printed on the check stub. Typically, claim checks are mailed to the shipper's billing address on file three to five business days after UPS receives the required documentation.

In the event the claim is not approved for payment, UPS will contact the shipper.

So, if you go this route who owns the amp? UPS since they paid for it?

14. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    The *shipper* is GC. The receiver has no dog in this fight......
    The shipper has to file the claim......because guess who gets the money? The shipper. Now, if they didn't pay for insurance, that's their problem. If they didn't pack it right, that is also their problem. You, meanwhile, need to get your money back.

I hope you paid for this by credit card-first thing I'd do is call up the credit card company, tell them the merchandise was damaged, tell them the seller is giving you a hard time and you're sending it back, etc, get the charge reversed. Second, call UPS and have them issue a call tag and come get the box and send it back to GC. You won't pay for shipping to return a damaged item, they just come get it. You'll have your money back, gc gets their amp back, you go elsewhere next time.

If you didn't pay by credit card, then you're going to have to go the "call corporate and throw a shyte fit" route. You're going to have to scream and fuss. DO IT. Call and tell them you bought and paid for an unbroken amp and received a poorly packed broken one. Tell them the mgr is refusing to help you. Throw a fit. Do not under any circumstances pay a penny out of your pocket for any of this.

UPS is not going to do much for you except come get it. You filing a claim isn't a claim for the value of the box, it's you notifying UPS that there is damage......the shipper has to do the rest if they want their money. However, the shipper doesn't have to issue a call tag-UPS can do that and come get the box.