Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube amp sound samples

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Dec 12, 2005.

1. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    does anyone know were to find ampeg svt-cl, mesa boogie 400+, or other tube amps sound samples? Just the bass on it's own, so I can hear if I like it?

thx,

Dave

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    :bag:

Did you ever see a photograph of a ghost or UFO - ever notice how there's just no clear detail? But the eye-witness can clearly describe what they saw and draw a much clearer picture?

On alt.guitar in early November someone posted a bunch of guitar samples recorded with SS and Tube - people sure had a tough time telling them apart, but in real life, if you saw and plugged in an amp in front of you it would be a different story.

In a double blind test, I bet there would be a much different results.

3. I could record something, but it would only be through the tubes preamp, which wouldnt be too true to the all tube sound, and the vocal mics ive got arent too good for micing up amps

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have some mediocre recordings of my Sunn Sceptre here. I'm playing it heavily overdriven, so it may or may not be what you're looking for.

5. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I was wondering about that concerning some of the models featured on basstasters.com.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  7. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    the sunn sounds awesome!

Are there still other tube amps?

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just imagine the sound of all your dreams coming true.

Well, actually a lot of pros use these amps. I am sure they rig up their sound with a lot of other stuff than we've got. With a little research I am sure you can find them. John Myung used a 400+ last time I checked. Tim Commersford used an SVT-II on the older rage albums.

Speakers effect the coloration of sound quite a bit though.

I actually have a clip of my Mesa Bass 400 live somewhere. Most of the song is direct into the amp, a few sections have sansamp ahead of it. Here-- http://www.unm.edu/~mcliff04/LeftBrain-warmuplive.mp3