1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Amp Users...unnecessary or couldn't hurt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. I'm looking at picking up either an Ampeg SVTII or Mesa 400/400+. In reading the various threads on tube amps and racks I'd like to know if a rackmountable cooling fan mounted to the rear of the amp would be of use or is it a waste of $$.

[​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GMI-SOUND-2-5U-DJ-AMP-TRIPLE-RACK-MOUNT-COOLING-FAN_W0QQitemZ150331627208QQihZ005QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, if it's not a waste of money is it better to have air blowing inward with cooler air or outward taking heated air out.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had an SVT-IIPRO for a while in an SKB case and I've never had any issues with it overheating. IMO, waste of money.

3. I'd say a waste of money. (SVT-II in 4U ATA case) Never had any issues with overheating

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll add a +1 to both the above.

5. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    No need for it.

6. go pick up a 110v box fan from the electronics store and wire on a cord and plug. Cut out pieces of the plastic back panel on your rack and mount the fan to the back panel. Make cutouts for your cords in the bottom of the panel and just run the fan on the panel. Bolt the fans to the inside of the panel and make sure to use some sort of fan guard, usually sold next to the fans. Total cost, probably $20. Not as clean looking as that rackmount fan but works, and it's on the back so no one will ever see it.

Keep in mind- push or pull the air's got to go out of or come in from somewhere else. Do you have at least a 1U open slot on the front of the rack? If not, you'll need a way for the air to circulate. I operated two fans on mine- one push and one pull. You don't need that big of a fan to accomplish enough air flow. Overkill? Maybe. But i always had peace of mind playing those outdoor or sweltering club gigs in August that my amp wasn't going to overheat. Nothing worse than your amp powering down half way through a song and you leaning over going "i got to wait 5 minutes for it to cool down". Been there, done that. Never again.