1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp wattage/ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Dec 24, 2006.

1. I did a search; didn't see this addressed. As I understand it, a tube amp's output is the same regardless of the cab's impedance(say 4 ohm vs 8 ohm). Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong. If this is accurate however, is there an advantage to 4 ohm over 8 ohm? To be more specific, I'm trying to figure out the ideal cab/cabs for my D-180; if I do a pair, of course I'll want two 8 ohm cabs so using them both will keep it at 4 ohms. If I decide upon a single cab, won't the power output of the amp be the same for an 8 or 4 ohm cab? :confused:

2. The power output will be the same regardless.

There is no sonically "better" choice really, however, if the speaker cabinet you want is availible in 4 and 8ohms, id get the 8ohm one, just incase you ever want to add another cabinet.

3. Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to think too.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1