Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Amp with EA cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy, Oct 4, 2000.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Does anyone have experience using an all tube amplifier (Eden VT300, Mesa 400+, Aguilar, etc.) with a pair Euphonic Audio 210 cabinets (or 208/210 mix)? In a now defunct forum, someone recommended this combination, but I wonder if 400 to 500 watts are enough power for the EA cabinets.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It really depends on how loud you need to get. I am driving my 210 and 208 with 1100w and occasionally clipping, but that's when I'm really damn loud, frankly, louder than I prefer to play.

I am looking forward to trying the updated 600w Euphonic Audio iAmp when it becomes available - it is supposed to handle 1800w peaks. That would be nice.

In an "in-home" test I drove the pair of EAs with my tiny Clarus amp, which delivers 200w at 4 ohms and the volume was quite impressive. If the 208 EA was available at 2 ohms-- what a tiny yet murderous combination that pair would make!

I will tell you that I love the detail that the EA cabs deliver and would myself be interested in hearing them with a tube amp, because I suspect you'd really be able to detect whatever is driving them. You won't get coloration from the EAs themselves IME, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the sound you're seeking. It ain't vintage, if you know what I mean <g> But I have come to prefer speakers that follow my EQ preferences rather than impose their own on me.