Tube Amp with EA cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy, Oct 4, 2000.

1. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    Does anyone have experience using an all tube amplifier (Eden VT300, Mesa 400+, Aguilar, etc.) with a pair Euphonic Audio 210 cabinets (or 208/210 mix)? In a now defunct forum, someone recommended this combination, but I wonder if 400 to 500 watts are enough power for the EA cabinets.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It really depends on how loud you need to get. I am driving my 210 and 208 with 1100w and occasionally clipping, but that's when I'm really damn loud, frankly, louder than I prefer to play.

I am looking forward to trying the updated 600w Euphonic Audio iAmp when it becomes available - it is supposed to handle 1800w peaks. That would be nice.

In an "in-home" test I drove the pair of EAs with my tiny Clarus amp, which delivers 200w at 4 ohms and the volume was quite impressive. If the 208 EA was available at 2 ohms-- what a tiny yet murderous combination that pair would make!

I will tell you that I love the detail that the EA cabs deliver and would myself be interested in hearing them with a tube amp, because I suspect you'd really be able to detect whatever is driving them. You won't get coloration from the EAs themselves IME, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the sound you're seeking. It ain't vintage, if you know what I mean <g> But I have come to prefer speakers that follow my EQ preferences rather than impose their own on me.