1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TUBE Ampeg flavor within $$/space constraints?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by focusbob, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:48 AM.

1. SVP-Pro

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. SVP-cl

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. B25

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Svt-iip (do they exist?)

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Other (please explain)

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
  2. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Save your $.
    Get an SVP-CL, it’ll hold you over until you figure it all out.
    They don’t sound bad using what have you power.

A sealed cab, that’s almost mandatory for “that sound”.

I can get a ton of the clank by switching to stupid hot passive Js.

johnpbass and focusbob like this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Good pick on the Traynor. I used to have one but the weight /Watts ratio wasn't ideal and I felt guilty letting it moulder in my music room even though it sounded wonderful. If I'd had a load and a speaker level DI with speaker sim then I'd have kept it.

With regards to your question, you might want to look at the option of using an amp sim pedal, possibly into the Traynor. The Traynor has some great sounds, but it's pretty clean and with no master volume hard to overdrive (I used to use mine into a modified low efficiency hi fi speaker for recording and it was still loud for just recording).

There might also be some low wattage amps that might be able to get the sound if recording is the main requirement, but with a dummy load and speaker level DI you could then send that into the Rumble.

4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Good pick on the Traynor. I used to have one but the weight /Watts ratio wasn't ideal and I felt guilty letting it moulder in my music room even though it sounded wonderful. If I'd had a load and a speaker level DI with speaker sim then I'd have kept it.

With regards to your question, you might want to look at the option of using an amp sim pedal, possibly into the Traynor. The Traynor has some great sounds, but it's pretty clean and with no master volume hard to overdrive (I used to use mine into a modified low efficiency hi fi speaker for recording and it was still loud for just recording).

There might also be some low wattage amps that might be able to get the sound if recording is the main requirement, but with a dummy load and speaker level DI you could then send that into the Rumble.

I realise this is the tight wad answer but I did live for twenty five years in Yorkshire!

focusbob likes this.
  5. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    Ampeg V-4B RI

focusbob likes this.
  6. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    A 20t or 50t in front of your rumble amp should be a good option. I use the transformer out of a 20T with excellent results.

But, As others have said: a closed, non ported cab is a big part of that sound too.

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    On a more budget friendly range, you have the Bugera BBV3000 which is an SVT CL clone.
    Also the Bugera BVP5500 is a SVT IV clone that sounds and works great.
    Both are discontinued and are only found in the used market.

If you want that SVT flavour on a budget, I also recomend you to look at the Kustom DE 300 HD. It's a hybrid head with tube preamp and solid state power amp and it nails that ampegish tone. Actually, the engeneer that designed the head was an ampeg designer for many years. I have one and I love the tone of it. It sounds great and has some really nice features for its price, like HPF and LPF (also notch filters as well) and cab sim in the xlr output. Only thing that I don't really like is the size and weight but since you're aiming for that big Ampeg heads I guess that isn't the problem for you.
    And if you want more power and a lighter head you have the Kustom DE 1200 HD, that delivers a lot fo power using the same preamp as the DE 300 HD.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    focusbob likes this.
  8. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    For home recording with authentic Ampeg tube grind, I run a little 20 watt pf-20t head into a sealed 210 av cab and it’s glorious. Also has a transformer balanced di out for silent recording without a speaker load. Easy to push this rig to power tube heaven. Head is reasonably priced and often on sale.

9. focusbob

focusbob

Jan 28, 2019
    Awesome looking forward to it!

10. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Traynor YBA 200 or 300. Not "exactly" Ampeg, but a nice head and light in comparison.

focusbob likes this.
  11. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    I have an SVT (82) , closest thing to an SVT and not being Ampeg is a Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe (or VT Bass Rack) in front on almost any amp. shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr3S7GLS7Jxk8j-fFhUUjpNjLsVllXvu08jmHvskdRSBwe0qUn9g&usqp=CAc.
    Now I did pick up a PF50t and that also sounds great on a 410HE cab , very close to the SVT

bigtone23, focusbob and JulienP. like this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    PF-50T or PF-20T...

focusbob and JulienP. like this.
  13. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Dummy load lets you run without a speaker cab.
    The Transformer DI out is GREAT for recording. In the studio I run straight out of the Tranny DI into the board. You can also use that to go into an external power amp. Not sure if you need a Low/Hi Impedance matching transformer to do that though. Depends on the inputs on your power amp, IIRC.

Zbysek, focusbob and JulienP. like this.
  14. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    TrentB and focusbob like this.
  15. focusbob

focusbob

Jan 28, 2019
    I was just looking into this question with my fender rumble v3 2x10 combo. The manual says that the effects send/return is "balanced" (it's 1/4" so TRS) but does not give the impedance of the return. I also can't find it via googling thus far. If anyone knows, please do tell!

The transformer di from the pf-20t to the effects return of my fender rumble v3 would be an excellent option, with the other excellent option being my fryette power station. Then I could dial in my optimal tone with the pf-20t and amplify it to my needs/taste with either power amp. Very flexible!

johnpbass and Zbysek like this.
  16. focusbob

focusbob

Jan 28, 2019
    In front? Interesting, why not direct to power amp?

17. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    Just easier if you have an old Peavey or something that does not have the right connections, so I set it up to go in front. On my Shuttle 6.0 I use it in the effects loop , just sounds better.

focusbob likes this.
  18. I've got a MicroVR set up with 2 of the 210AV cabs. I also run a Scrambler and an SCR-DI in front of it to give it a little of the the SVT tone-stack. This is my little rig. My bigger one is 2 of the 112AV cabs with a V-4B. But the MicroVR gets a lot more use as it is so easy to transport and sounds so good. I do run the v-4B through those cabs as wel with great results. Good luck!

dbbltime and focusbob like this.
  19. focusbob

focusbob

Jan 28, 2019
    Tight wad answer is (almost) always the best answer for me :)

Just to share an experience, the fryette power station (v2) has been a life changer, I can't recommend it highly enough. I put the yba-1 through it to attenuate to reasonable volumes and the breakup with the yba-1 at full tilt was literally the best I've ever heard. What I would imagine a vintage Marshall Bass/Superbass sounds like when it's working really hard. Amazing!

-Asdfgh- and johnpbass like this.
  20. focusbob

focusbob

Jan 28, 2019
    10-4 on the cabs! Looking around it looks like those ampeg custom drivers are essentially eminence alpha 10" @ 4ohms