Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube amps! Fender/Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Feb 24, 2004.

1. I'm currently running a Eden navigator pre, and a mackie1400i. I'd like to add a all tube amp to the collection.

The fender(also Sunn) has 6 power tubes and the Mesa 400+ has 12. They are both putting out 300w. Are the 12 6l6's better than 6 8550?(not sure if that's right) The mesa alone for retubing is a small fortune. Any thoughts between the two would be appreciated.

Also, if you know of any other all tube heads(newer), please list them for me to go check out. (I allready know of the Aguilar ones, and they are a bit more than I want to spend. Looking for same range as mesa and fender($1000-1200ish)

Thanks

2. Ampeg SVT-2 pro, Eden VT-300A, Trace V8.

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Another one from Mesa is the M-Pulse 300. I've never seen one in a store, but I really want to try one! :bawl:

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you like the Navigator pre, you may want to look into an all-tube power amp. I know Trace made a few, as well as Mesa. I use a Mesa Strategy 500, and basstriaxis has a Coloseum 300 and Strategy 400.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think that the 6 6550s will be a bit "clearer" sounding, as well as having a bit more headroom over the 12 6L6s.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, I have my personal bias, but I am a big fan of the Boogie stuff (duh). Solid, well built, and great customer service without costing an arm and a leg.

The new Fender tube head looks pretty cool. They made a strong showing of it at the NAMM show, but I didn't get a chance to hear it. Fender makes good stuff, so you can't go wrong there either. Just be aware that it's very heavy (running along the lines of 90 lbs., I think). Lots of knobs and faders, too, so if you're a knob-o-phobe you might look at the Mesa or Ampeg instead.

SoCom has a good point with the separate pre/power thing, provided you don't care so much about the cash and carry.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I forgot to mention that while retubing is very expensive for some of these amps, you will more than likely never have to do that. Tubes last forever.

And while I'm at it, if you are going to be playing at volumes where you will be pushing the headroom of either Fender or Mesa head, I don't think you will notice too much distortion. Your own ears will be distorting on their own.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't think the Fender tube head is new, it's just a rebadged Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman 300, is it not? :confused:

9. The Sunn/Fender 300 can be had for a lot cheaper than the Mesa Boogie and I would rather only have to replace 6 power tubes than 12. Although the Mesa Boogie is a much better built amp they usually cheap out by using low grade chinese tubes that will not last forever. I guess thats why they use high grade ceramic tube sockets, because chances are pretty good that those chinese tubes are going to burn!

10. Thanks everyone for all the great input!!

SoCom, are these tube power amps still in production? Or is it a ebay, pawn shop, classifides kind of deal?

11. thehurlaton

Please feast your eyes on my signature...I await your pm.

toodles.

12. There is a Mesa Boogie Strategy 500 Stereo power amp on Ebay right now (4-6550, 8-6L6, and 4-12AX7's). Through in a Kern, Aguilar, or Demeter tube preamp and you would have the best of both worlds.

13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, I'm afraid it's got to be the used route for the Trace and Mesa amps. There can be some good deals to be had on the Mesas on eBay.

14. eden still lists an all-tube power amp on their website. but i think if the aguilar is too rich for your blood, so will most tube monoblock amplifiers.

if you can find one, a peavey classic 400 is all tube. it's very loud, but it's not tubey like a mesa would be. it's much cleaner and takes a little effort or a lot of volume to get a "tube" sound.

robb.

15. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hey Robb, good to see you around again! If you ever think you could sneak another one of those Classics out of the lab, I WANT IT!

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You've got to check out the Mesa M-Pulse 600. It doesn't have a tube power amp section but it sure thinks it does! It uses two tubes. One for the preamp and one to feed the simul State powere amp section. Really Phat and tight in the low end! At 600 RMS @ 4 ohms it sounds louder than the 1150 RMS from my Stewart/Alembic rig. I puchased the Mesa M-Pulse 600 to obtain an nice alternative sound to my SWR & GK amps. It also has a great builit in footswitchable compressor, 5-Band footswitchable semi-parametric, footswitchable parallel "Solo" master and footswitchable parallel effects loop (w/blend ctrl). All this with out the fragile (and expensive) power tubes!

17. LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!! I had a Mesa M2000, and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Until I tried an M-Pulse. Traded my M2000 the next week and haven't looked back since. Check Mesa's website for the specs. It's unbelievably diverse, and can coax out just about any tone you could want. It's just wonderful.
    Plus, I believe the Mesa 400+ pushes more than 300 watts... I could be wrong, but every one I've seen is definitely more than that.

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How many times must I say this: Boogie is NOT using Chinese tubes stock in any of their amps! This is a rumor that has been passed around for a long time, and it is simply not true. The Bass 400+ comes stock with Russian Sovtek tubes.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How do you know that it's more than 300 watts? Have you plugged into an SVT lately? They get much louder than the 400+s.