1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Tube amps FT: Mesa 400+ or Mesa D-180- Portland area

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by sunbeast, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just moved to Portland a bit back and am looking for a little more modern amp for a new music project. Mainly interested in a couple specifics, but some of them I'd like to be able to try first, hence the "Portland area" aspect (which means that you can try my amp(s) as well). The amps I'm definitely interested in at this point are:
    Mesa Carbine M6
    Genz-Benz GBE750 (or possibly 600)
    Thunderfunk TF550

I am open to other possibilities as long as I can try them out! And all can be +/- money depending...

Basically looking for an aggressive/ punchy rock amp- but a little more modern and clean with tighter lows than my tubed companions....I still love both of my Mesas, and will be keeping whichever remains for future projects and recording (I've had a hell of a time deciding which one I'd prefer to keep- so I'm letting you all decide).

Both of the Mesas are in good condition, and have both been regularly serviced/retubed since I've had them. The tubes in the D-180 are almost new (low hours, retubed and serviced 4-5 months ago), the tubes in the 400+ are about a year old or so- also low hours as my main band broke up shortly after the retube! The D-180 has Svetlana 6L6s in the power amp and a mix of JJ and Mesa tubes in the pre. The 400+ has Shuguang 6L6GCs in the power section and JJ 12ax7s in the pre- all the tubes in both were matched/installed by Lord Valve/Fat Willie in Denver.
    Heres an old Trade ad I posted for the D-180 that describes its tone and what-not pretty well:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442519&highlight=mesa

The 400+ sounds surprisingly different considering it is a fairly close descendant of the D-180- its more massive, with a ridiculous room-filling thick low end and more subdued high end. It tends to be a challenge keeping this amp from being too loud (ie drowning out anything within a couple blocks!), which I must admit has been kind of addictive...:p. It doesn't have the versatile "gooey tube overdrive at any volume" that the D-180 excels at, but it can get a pretty wicked grind for sure! The tube complement in this guy far surpasses the stock Mesa tubes in just about every way- louder, deeper, more defined, sweeter overdrive, etc... Lord Valve suggested the tubes for both amps, and he definitely knows his stuff!

The 400+ is currently mounted in an awesome and sturdy 4 space Road-Ready rack, which I may include depending on the deal. The D-180 will come with a fairly crappy rack bag. Actually either could go in either, depending on the deal...:smug:

The 400+
    The D-180

I'm sure I'm leaving out some pertinent info this late at night- so feel free to ask any questions. For the right trade, I'd be willing to drive a bit from the Portland area- but I'd really like to be able to try any amps out first!

Not putting these up for sale at the moment, but I may if I can't find a decent trade.

Thanks,
    Karl

2. PM to ya.

3. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    bump!.!.!.!.!.!

Open to other trade offers + may be willing to ship for the right deal (I've played a Carbine and both Genz amps before, so I wouldn't need to try those out as long as they are in good working condition!).

Thanks,
    Karl

4. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    i may consider getting rid of my eden 1205 - let me know if your interested.

5. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    bump! Not really sure about Eden- haven't played through one in years...wish you were a little farther North so I could try it out! I'll try to find one locally...

Karl

6. limit6

limit6

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    PM sent

7. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Bump for some glowing tube love

8. PM'd

9. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You should try gallien krueger out, they are modern but can get that "grind" when you want it

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've tried GKs before, I'd definitely be interested in trying out someones 800RB or similar in the Portland area! Bump for trade offers, Northwesterners!

Karl

11. SpacemanBassman

SpacemanBassman

Apr 13, 2007
    Hawai'i
    PM'd you

12. turbine

turbine Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Texas
    PM'd for trade. Thanks, Ron

13. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Replied + bumparooni! Any unsatisfied Carbine owners looking for something tubey?!?

14. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump it- somebodys out there's gotta want some all-tube warmth. I just need an alternative for my current project!

Karl

15. tacozombies

tacozombies

Jul 24, 2008
    Bristol, CT
    is this still open?

16. I used to own this amp.

It is a killer sounding all tube amp folks.

17. I recommend keeping the D-180 Bud.
    You will kick yourself for letting her go.. by FAR the most versitile amp I have ever played.
    This amp also get's PLENTY loud... I like it's tone better than the 400 and 400+.. it is to me the best tube amp made bar none.
    Think about it before you let this sweetheart go.

18. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    :meh:Did ya notice the date?

19. tacozombies

tacozombies

Jul 24, 2008
    Bristol, CT
    :( no

20. SpacemanBassman

SpacemanBassman

Apr 13, 2007