Tube amps no one talks about (Orange & Matamp)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zombywoof5050, Dec 15, 2002.

1. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  2. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    YES! Orange and Matamp are a little pricey, but I have played the entire Orange product line, and own several orange amps. My favorite, however, surprising as this may be, is the Crush 10. It's a solid state little guitar amp that gets tone I wouldn't have though possible from a 10 watt amp. It was only 100 bucks, too.

As for Matamp, their prices seem rediculous, but I played their bass 200 and its tone was immediatly the indicator of the steep cost. Its tone shaping capabilities are incredible, and the only thing that I would want from it would be bi-amping capabilities, like the carvin 600 & 1000 watt bass heads. But hey, it was great sound.

So, yes, I have heard of them. :)
  3. Who distributes either the Orange or the Matamp? Next spring I would be interested in trying them out, but don't know anywhere close to Nashville that carries them.
  4. Before Chambers moved up West End and back when he was down close to Tower he had LOTS in the basement. He might still carry them.
  5. My g**tarist plays a dual channel Orange. It is incredible sounding. i brought ths up to vouch for its reliability more than anything. If it keeps running under Jonathan's watch....:)
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    rock block carries the guitar stuff. but the only palce i know that has the bass stuff in stock is xzanado bookstore in memphis.
  7. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    My guitar player has four orange and matamp 4x12's, a new Matamp legend 120, and two 70's pics-only orange heads. He's in the process of purchasing two matamp 2x15 cabs and an old Orange lead 200. Yeah, he loves this stuff.

Matamp is no longer making the Bass or Lead 200's. It was not cost-effective for them to build those dual output section heads. There might still be a few kicking around though.

The only Matamp distributor in the US is Joel Wheeler.

I've played one of the old Oranges (through two 4x12's), and the tone for bass is quite cool, although it gets dirty earlier than I'd like. It *is* only a 120 watt head with EL34's, though.
  8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sorry to steal the thread, but George Dennis was making a tube bass head when I last checked. Seemed pretty cool, and reasonably priced.
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    John at MusicExchange in Tallahassee, FL is a Matamp dealer.

10. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    matt sharps, weezers old bassist used them.
  11. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    He sure did! Along with an beat up 1968 Ampeg SVT810.

He did not use it on the first weezer album, but he used it on pinkerton, IMO the best bass tone on any of the weezer albums to date.
  12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Someone just posted a photo of someone with an Orange bass stack in the "Chicks With Basses" thread...