Tube amps power vs. tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 15, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I tried a Trace Elliot V4 the other day and liked it quite a lot. Do anyone have oppinions on this one.
    I also played the Marshall VBA 400 and it sounds good to but not as great as the Trace.
    They go for the same price so I wonder if I should go with a more powerful amp or the one that sounds a little better. I don´t know if I will ever need 400W of tube power. So far I have managed with 300W solid state and a 4x10".

2. I have tried the marshall tube bass amp and didn't like it. I haven't tried the Trace V range but I have tried Ashdown, and would look no further, I see you have an AMB300 why not upgrade to the 500 or 900, they have tube pre amp and a blendable sound between mosfet & tube. I think Marshall would be a retrograde step. There is also Ampeg, to consider..

3. Remember you can never have too MUCH power just too LITTLE. Power is headroom..which is important to be able to move some serious air with no effort. My choice without playing any of the two amps you mentioned would be the Trace. Dont like Marshall. Hey! Thats just me ;) ;)