Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TUBE AMPS????

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by bigbassjay, Jun 28, 2003.

1. bigbassjay

bigbassjay

Jan 9, 2003
    Say All-
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.... I am playing a SVT 3pro right now
    It is 450 watts@4ohms mosfet w/a tube pre-amp....I am considering purchasing a SVT 2pro which has 300 watts@4ohms of tube power W/a tube pre-amp. <p>
    now being that this whole tube vs. mosfet has got me many different shades of confused, I was wondering if The 300 watts of tube power would be enough to power my rig, yet not loose the power and volume that I am getting from the 450 watts of mosfet power. <p>
    I know that I could find a better forum to ask this question in but, I like MIKE WATT better than I like most gear heads
    Thanks
    JAY GIELOW

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I think it would be about as loud but more $$$ in the long run cuz those tubes don't last forever. I think if your cabinet is in good shape (and also the tubes), they got a better tone than the solid state amp you're talking about.

on bass, watt