Tube bass amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllmanDeadHead, Aug 8, 2003.

1. AllmanDeadHead

Apr 9, 2003
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a good bass tube amp head thats under $350. What would be my best choice in this price range. Right now I just want to push a 15 inch avatar cabinet. So I would think at least 100 watts of tube should do it. I've looked on ebay and there isnt much unless i want to shell out $900 for an ampeg or mesa boogie. I don't mind if its older like an acoustic 370 but those are hard to come by. :bassist:
  2. Wow three of the same threads. Intresting-
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Good tube heads are generally pretty expensive and not very common, so I don't know if you'll be able to find one in that price range.
  4. I think the acoustic 370 is not tube... correct me if I am wrong..

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. You can get a 100 Watt tube bass head for around $250 if you can stand to wait until you find a good deal. It may take a year, but eventually you'll luck into one. If you can repair it yourself, you can get them even cheaper.

7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno 'bout 100 watts, but you can get a 40 watt Fender Bassman head for about $325 or less on ebay. the "silverface" models from the late '60s to early '70s arent as sought after as the cooler looking "blackface" models of earlier years, but they sound just as good, IMHO. and you'd have a killer guitar head, too!

many preamps like the Alembic and Kern are modeled after the Fender Bassman tone. remember before they became one of the standard bearers for bluesmen, they were fer reals bass amps!
  8. you can get lucky and stumble upon a great 70's Ampeg V4B (not in mint condition, of course) for that price...
  9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Acoustic 370 is solid state. I've seen some great old Traynor tube amps in your price range. Also Sunn amps are great, I paid $400 a few years back for my 2000S. The old Musicman bass amps are in your range also.
  10. I played through this one Ampeg in a used music store one time and I was blown away..... it sounded extrememly close to a tube amp, but it wasn't. I'm not sure what model it even was or anything, but it was big size for a solid state, 400W I think, and looked like it was from the 80's. Best part: $275. Too bad I just bought a new cab, the money just wasn't flowin... Tube amps ARE hard to come by, but I know the feeling... all-tube goodness just can't be beat! If you'll settle for something RREASONABLY
  11. tube-sounding, then check around for some good solid-states. Sorry, I accidently hit the Enter button or something so this is a continuation of my 1/2 post.:cool:

P.S. Nice Sunn, speddling!
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: thanks. I'm hoping to order my new weber drivers and have the Sunn overhauled in the next month or 2.