1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube bass amp kit from mojotone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nsh50a, Mar 7, 2013.

1. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
  2. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I do not have experience with the Mojo kits, but I do remember seeing a post from another forum from the owner of Mission Amps stating that the Mojo was a quality product. This was mainly referring to their tweed Bassman product, but I see no reason that wouldn't extend to this.

3. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    I've heard really good things in general. Pertaining to guitar amps at least.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have a friend who has built a few mojo kits and said they're decent stuff, though the instructions are a bit bare bones. Most of the tips/tricks he gets if he has trouble with a build come from the forums.

I was considering dropping the coin to build either this or the weber AB200 kit, and was more favoring the weber because given the choice between a 200 watt head for $800 vs a 50 watt head for $800 I'd rather the 200 watter, but weber canned the kit before I could order, and I ended up buying an old amp to fix up instead.

5. bassmun

bassmun

Feb 3, 2014
    I'm sure a lot of people are curious about the Mojotone 50 watt bass amp kit. Well, I finally bit the bullet and built one of these amps. All I can say is that I wish I would have done it a long time ago. This is by far THE BEST sounding amp I have ever played through especially when paired with my Ampeg 15" speaker and my Fender Jazz bass with a John East on board preamp. The sound of the amp is warm and super punchy. I would say that it sounds equally as good as an Ampeg Portaflex in proper working order, maybe even better. Since it's a two stage amp, you have your choice of clean tone, or turn up the gain and let the tubes growl a little. I plan on recording some sound clips soon. Once I do I'll post a link.

6. Resurrecting old thread on a prayer - almost pulled the trigger on one of these tonight. How is the volume output and with what cab(s) are you running this beastie?

7. at 50 watts, I'd say it puts out like an old bassman or the new PF50T. I'm a bit curious to build one myself, but my current location is a bit prohibitive, and I can't even seem to get to the website.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    For $899 you can buy the new Ampeg PF-50T which is also a 50W tube amp. The Mojo kit is $50 less. A kit doesn't come with any safety certifications. If it burns down your place, insurance will not cover it.

hdracer likes this.
  9. At least half of my studio is DIY (500 series preamps, LA3A clone, a bazillion pedals and utility boxes) and I've built tube guitar amps for in-laws - talk about safety concerns! :D

My query is more towards where it would fit in my current spectrum of needs - backup form smaller shows, loud practices, sane studio volume or all/other? Will it sufficiently scratch the HiWatt DR clean depth itch, or tend more towards the ungodly tube gnarl that makes grown men march to war? Or both? Not immolating the residence is certainly important, but my risk tolerance is well metered in regards to DIY.

FWIW the Ampeg looks pretty sweet and a flip top is definitely on the list, but I am more intrigued by the Mojotone than Ampeg right now.

10. I honestly hadn't considered it, but you're quite right, it's also a lot less work. DIY isn't about saving money, it's about the learning process and the joy of building something - I also wouldn't recommend starting in electronics with a tube amp without at least some SERIOUS reading.

11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Here's something from Weber that could make a decent bass head.

12. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    It's not quite the same, but since this thread was started Trinity has launched their Trip-top kit.

35W cathode bias/40W fixed bias B15 clone, complete with chrome chassis, tube cage, and heyboer transformers. I did their Triwatt kit and it sounds incredible. The kit is similarly priced for the chassis and cage without a headbox/cabinet B15 clone is quite a bit more costly at $1600 for the head versus $850 for the head from mojotone, but different designs, quality, etc. If you're looking to build for the experience Trinity has great layouts and build guides, very helpful forums, etc.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    OP, a 50W head, tube or otherwise, is not going to get you too far. Back in the Sixties yes but in today's world you need far more.

wcriley likes this.
  14. I was just looking at that! $730 for the kit and cage is probably a steal for what you get. I'm glad to hear that Trinity kits are good - I'm about to order the TC15 combo kit to build as a gift for someone.

15. The Ampeg is surely worth an audition - Haven't yet. The Mojo looks like a fine produce, with vintage/boutique parts - I would have preferred more recent low ESR power supply caps in place of the Mallory's. The iron in the Mojo appears to be significantly more substantial than the Ampeg's. Think I would go with the Mojo, but would audition the Ampeg first.

EDIT: The Trinity Trip Top kit is very intriguing. Sure wish it had a mid control.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  16. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That's right, I was looking at fully built prices, not kit prices, they do offer both. $730 for the kit is a great price!

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    In that case, there are a lot of interesting amps that you can build. Much easier if you wanted a guitar amp. One possibility is buying a chassis (mojo, weber) and building a clone from scratch. But the first thing to do is determine what amp you want.

You mentioned the LA3A. There are some nice classic mic preamp and EQ kits. There are some nice boards at dripelectronics.com. I like the fairchild 670 boards that they are offering.

18. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I think that they went with the Mallory caps because of their popularity. Both manufacturers and builders use them. Many are moving over to more modern caps these days.

The Mojo is expensive but building any amp is going to be.

19. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    An education is always expensive. A kit is a nice way to go as everything is provided.