Tube boosters? Portable preamps...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Jun 2, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are there any good tubedriven boosters (or portable tubepreamps) out there to give me a warmer sound?
    I´m not looking for overdrive but a warm growly tube but transparent sound.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    SIB Fat Drive - does clean to woolly and mean with a turn of the drive knob. also one of the few boxes that isnt necessarily taylored to guitars, but have a full range sound that handles the low end, nicely.

you could always get a cheap used ART Tube MP as well. great for the studio too. the input gain knob adds a nice glow as you turn it up.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That SIB looks great. Don´t think it´s available in Europe, though.
    And if it is it´ll probably cost a fortune.
    What about the Presonus TubePre?
  4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I find that the OD on the Fulltone Bass Drive can simulate tube warmth nicely for a solid state pedal (kinda pricey though). I have noticed that many here say the same about the SansAmp BDDI.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor.

You can also try to score a used Hughes & Kettner BassMaster, a 9.5" rackmount tube preamp, it even has a little tube poweramp.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tubeworks BlueTube
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey, I´ve been interested in Hughes & Kettners boxes for a while. How does the Tube Factor sound? IWill it make a good clean sound wihtout cutting the lows on a bass? Is it transparent?
    BTW I´m most interested in the Tubeman2 but would like comments on any of their boxes.
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Buddah Phat Bass pedal on order. I understand that you can get warm tube tones to full-on vintage tube amp overdrive from this pedal. It's got two tubes in it; 12ax7s or 12at7s depending on what they're putting into the pedals at the time, I guess. Due to a back log of orders, I won't receive it till July. But I'll will surely post a review.

I've heard very good comments about the Blue Tube pedal although I haven't actually played through one.

I bought a EBS Multidrive, last year. it sounded good but didn't quite satisfy me. So, I sold it and I think it has a happy home with another TBer now. I have sound clips of that one, if you're interested, I will email.
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Im not really interested in the EBS although its a great pedal. Im more looking for a cleam warm booster. Freferably one that can be used for recording and plugged direct into a poweramp like the H&K Tubeman. I guess I will see if I can find one of those to try out.
  10. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  11. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I second the real tube..I swapped my tube out for a Mesa 12axp7 tube and the thing is FAT...Plus the boost can be controlled by a footswitch for a little OD..
  12. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone used the SIB Fat Drive direct into a poweramp or into the effect return?
    How did it work/sound?
  13. Jock,

Reussenzehn is a german tube guru who also makes very good tube boosters for bass: the Bassmax and the Daniel D Bass. He also makes very good DI's, but I understand you're not really interested in them...
  14. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve looked at their site but after reading the reviews on I will never buy their stuff. He is supposed to be one arrogant bastard who makes really crappy stuff calling himself the tubedoctor. Not that great reputation. But thanks anyway.;)
  15. Sorry Jock,

Didn't know that. I didn't do a research on the subject, I just happen to know that website...