1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube boosters? Portable preamps...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Jun 2, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are there any good tubedriven boosters (or portable tubepreamps) out there to give me a warmer sound?
    I´m not looking for overdrive but a warm growly tube but transparent sound.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    SIB Fat Drive - does clean to woolly and mean with a turn of the drive knob. also one of the few boxes that isnt necessarily taylored to guitars, but have a full range sound that handles the low end, nicely.

you could always get a cheap used ART Tube MP as well. great for the studio too. the input gain knob adds a nice glow as you turn it up.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    That SIB looks great. Don´t think it´s available in Europe, though.
    And if it is it´ll probably cost a fortune.
    What about the Presonus TubePre?
    link

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I find that the OD on the Fulltone Bass Drive can simulate tube warmth nicely for a solid state pedal (kinda pricey though). I have noticed that many here say the same about the SansAmp BDDI.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor.

You can also try to score a used Hughes & Kettner BassMaster, a 9.5" rackmount tube preamp, it even has a little tube poweramp.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tubeworks BlueTube

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey, I´ve been interested in Hughes & Kettners boxes for a while. How does the Tube Factor sound? IWill it make a good clean sound wihtout cutting the lows on a bass? Is it transparent?
    BTW I´m most interested in the Tubeman2 but would like comments on any of their boxes.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Buddah Phat Bass pedal on order. I understand that you can get warm tube tones to full-on vintage tube amp overdrive from this pedal. It's got two tubes in it; 12ax7s or 12at7s depending on what they're putting into the pedals at the time, I guess. Due to a back log of orders, I won't receive it till July. But I'll will surely post a review.

I've heard very good comments about the Blue Tube pedal although I haven't actually played through one.

I bought a EBS Multidrive, last year. it sounded good but didn't quite satisfy me. So, I sold it and I think it has a happy home with another TBer now. I have sound clips of that one, if you're interested, I will email.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Im not really interested in the EBS although its a great pedal. Im more looking for a cleam warm booster. Freferably one that can be used for recording and plugged direct into a poweramp like the H&K Tubeman. I guess I will see if I can find one of those to try out.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes!

11. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I second the real tube..I swapped my tube out for a Mesa 12axp7 tube and the thing is FAT...Plus the boost can be controlled by a footswitch for a little OD..

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone used the SIB Fat Drive direct into a poweramp or into the effect return?
    How did it work/sound?

13. Jock,

visit www.reussenzehn.de

Reussenzehn is a german tube guru who also makes very good tube boosters for bass: the Bassmax and the Daniel D Bass. He also makes very good DI's, but I understand you're not really interested in them...

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve looked at their site but after reading the reviews on harmony-central.com I will never buy their stuff. He is supposed to be one arrogant bastard who makes really crappy stuff calling himself the tubedoctor. Not that great reputation. But thanks anyway.;)

15. Sorry Jock,

Didn't know that. I didn't do a research on the subject, I just happen to know that website...