Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube breakage question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Nov 9, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I got a deal on a very sturdy plywood amp case/box. I also just got an ampeg svp pro tube preamp and a 410 SVT cab. I’m thinking of stacking the cab on top of the rack as the rack is plenty sturdy and will support it—and it will be nice to get it up there so that I can hear it better. My question, though—will that cause too much vibration on the rack case and cause problems with the tubes?

2. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    right on... thanks.

3. Cool. Usually a chassis like that is suspended in some fashion. Trust me, for what you're paying for that pre, I'm sure the vibration tests have gone above and beyond what you're likely to dish out.

Peace out man.
    Mon

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    My concern came out of talking to a few touring musicians lately who prefer solid state amps and pres because the vibrations of the trailer somteimes mess with/break the tubes... I guess that's a very different level of vibration, though.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There should be no problem.

That said, there are trailers, and there are trailers......I once saw an expensive piece of solid state equipment that was totally destroyed by shipment on a standard 18 wheeler. There was so much vibration that it actually broke parts off the boards. Not just big parts, but also resistors. I didn't believe it even when I saw it.
    Apparently the trailer was lightly loaded, and the item was right over the wheels....it got really bounced.

If your trailer has reasonable springing, and the unit doesn't fall off your speaker (or your speaker fall on it) very often :eek:, you should be fine.

That's a long way down to make adjustments..........

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    True, it is far down to reach, but at least it raises my cab... and puts my furman at ground level so I can plug some other stuff into it.