Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube choice for Ashdown ABM500 EVO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 9, 2004.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Does anyone have any experience using different pre-amp tubes with the Ashdown ABM500 EVO/EVO II heads? I'm wondering if there are any tubes that sound exceptional? I believe this amp head has just one 12ax7.

Looking for pre-amp tube recommendations for my Ashdown ABM500 EVO. Thanks!

2. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
  3. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Chris. Did you notice any sonic difference when you installed the NOS Telefunken? Was it improved? Not that I feel my head is lacking, it's just nice to know if there are any quick simple performance enhancements. - Gary

4. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    You can definitely hear the difference between different preamp tubes. Especially when you set the preamp knob full on the tube side. I noticed that the differences were mostly in how the overtones sound. Some tubes have a kind of brittle sound, some are warmer and darker. Some feel a bit "spongey", some are "harder".

Obviously what sounds good to me might sound like poop to you, so just use your ears. Switching the tube out is easy. The link I provide explains how to remove a tube if it is siliconed in (mine wasn't).

Really, I would try out a few different tubes and see which works best with your sound. The Telefunkens are generally highly regarded (and expensive).

Cheers,
    Chris

5. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Chris. Where can I get a telefunken 883/12AAX7? Did you buy yours locally, or did you have to order it?

6. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Actually, I am not the person to ask about a good tube source... I stole mine from my dad who is a retired electronic engineer. ;) I got a small box of assorted 12AX7s and 12AT7s. Only one Telefunken though (bummer, cause I could make a killing on EBay if I had more).

I have seen quite a few on Ebay, and misc. internet retailers, but I don't know who is the best...

Cheers,
    Chris