Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube choices for SVTCL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I have a set of svetlanta 6550, PM KT-88, and sovtek 6550 for my Classic head. I am finding I love the head but it overdrives a littles to soon with my active basses even with db pad in. Any suggestion on tubes maybe having some properties to tighten the sound a wee bit? Ive never had a problem with 15db pads but the classic is only a 10 so maybe thats what Im hearing.

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If the head is healthy that's a bit surpising. I've got EH tubes in mine and it's very loud and clean. You've checked the obvious and made sure you don't have an impedence mismatch between the head and the speaker cab? Running the master on 10 and bringing the volume up on the gain pot will give you the cleanest sound (I always do this). Thinking out loud, if the overdrive is only kicking in at high volume that doesn't sound like a preamp issue as the grit would be there even at lower volumes, so the pad switch isn't going to fix it. I've got a high output active bass that I run without the pad, no problem. Could it be a slightly dodgy speaker that's letting go at volume? Tried plugging into a different cab? Possible dicky speaker cable maybe, I had one that caused distortion at high volume, was fine at low volume.

3. Nah tried it thru 3 ampeg set ups. Only sounded perfect when I ran two 4 ohm cabs at once.

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    It's interesting that it did sound good at 2 ohms with the tubes that you already have. Do you play really loud and just need the extra spl of 2 cabs? When you ran 2 cabs did you have the amp on top of one of them as usual? The reason I ask is if you had it on the floor and it sounded clean you may have a vibration related problem with the head.

5. Nah its just the nature of the beast. I really wanted some ideas on just tubes recommendations since ive got 3 sets if anyone had a noticable change in sound that I might try. Maybe itsa the biasing for my harder style of playing. the guy before me who had it was a double thumb type guy and im more phat and fingerstyle.